mtbr member

Inner chainguide solutions when a Jumpstop, etc doesn't fit? (xpost 29er)

(xposted to 29er board)

I'd like to go 1x9 on my drivetrain, but I can't figure out any solution to keep the chain from dropping off to the inside. I've read through a bunch of posts, and solutions range from Ngear Jumpstops, 3rd Eye things, to creative pieces of PVC wrapped around the seattube. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me that any of those will work on my frame (a Lenz Leviathan, see pics of how a Jumpstop mounts compared to the room I've got on the frame).

Other than retaining my front derailleur as a chainguide device, any ideas out there on how to get this done?

A logical solution to me looks like some type of BB mounted device like the E-type derailleurs, but I haven't seen any product that works like that ...

Thanks for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some cyclocross racers with a single front ring use two chainguards - 1 inside and 1 outside. You will need a longer BB spindle for this set-up.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

meh....
    Get a Rohloff Chainguide. Works like a front der, but it isn't one. Been running one with my 1x14 (Speedhub) and it works great. It'll reach the middle ring easy. It might reach the big ring, but I never tried.

Monte