mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Inner Bash Guard?

I have a Redline Monocog Flight 29er that I'm going to convert to a 1x9 setup. In doing my research, it appears I'll need something to hold the chain on the front chainring on both the inside and outside. What do you guys typically use on the inside? An LBS was quoting me for parts, and he mentioned an inner guard that costs $5. I'm assuming its thin plastic similar to what comes behind the cassette on the rear wheel? Can these be purchased online such as from Jenson?

And for the outer bashguard, how do the plastic ones hold up compared to aluminum?
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I doubt the inner is made of anything as flimsy as the plastic they make spoke gaurds from. As for regular plastic bash gaurds, many of them as TOUGHER than the ones made from aluminum. E-thriteen makes theirs from polycarbonate (iirc) - basically the same stuff used as "bulletproof glass" in so many inner city banks, liquor stores, and pizza joints.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK, that's good to know. I'm assuming the polycarbonate guards are lighter than the aluminum?

One other question, I've seen the N-Stop listed to keep the chain from dropping to the inside, but noticed some saying it didn't work in rough terrain. I'm assuming (I do that alot) they are referring to full suspension bikes. Since mine is a hardtail, would the N-Stop be a viable option for the inside?
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave In Florida
    OK, that's good to know. I'm assuming the polycarbonate guards are lighter than the aluminum?

One other question, I've seen the N-Stop listed to keep the chain from dropping to the inside, but noticed some saying it didn't work in rough terrain. I'm assuming (I do that alot) they are referring to full suspension bikes. Since mine is a hardtail, would the N-Stop be a viable option for the inside?
    Probably not lighter. They are much thicker than most aluminum bash rings. If all you want is a chain guard the thinner. lighter rings are fine.

There are some inner guard rings but they can have clearance issues. If you use a short/medium cage RD and keep the chain short chain drop is not much of an issue. The N-Stop will work fine or you can make your own like I did.

Plastic pipe cap, big zip tie and 20 minutes. Cost $2.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common