mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Inform me regarding FR/DH Cranks

I have to get a new crank because the ISIS connection between my RaceFace cranks and bottom bracket stripped. Don't know how that happened. Anywho, there is a hell of a deal on RaceFace Evolve DH cranks with a bottom bracket specifically designed for freeride. I know nothing about these two ring cranks though.

Most I see don't have a front derailleur so I assume no shifter either. If this be the case, then how do I shift between the two rings? Will I need a chain guide? Help!

banned
    Umm, derailleurs are seperate from cranks.....

Anyways, You don't need a chainguide unless you want to run a one ring setup.

I have the cranks you speak of. I assume this is on Pricepoint. That's where I bought mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thank you, I meant most freeride bikes with less than three chainrings.

mtbr member
    well, most freeride bikes only have one front ring for simplicity and less parts to break...

banned
    ok.. for no dropped chains??

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    ok.. for no dropped chains??
    The front derailuer acts as a sort of chain guide when using more than one front ring, so if you want to run only one ring, some kind of chain guide is needed if you're running one ring up front and a derailuer in the rear, as you said, to keep chain slap from dropping the chain off the front ring. I use a 'bash gaurd' in place of the big ring and a Jump Stop chain guide in place of the front derailuer and the chain runs only on the middle ring. The bash gaurd keeps the chain from jumping off to the outside and the Jump Stop keeps it from jumping off to the inside. Check out www.n-gear.com for info on the Jump Stop. There are other similar products that do the same thing. Rohloff makes one that is more like a derailuer that doesn't move and Third Eye makes one similar to the Jump Stop. Look for posts on these forums about '1x9' setups, or go to the Single Speed forum, for more info too.