Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Im lost

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80

    Im lost

    I need some guidance. I have an Idea but I dont know if it will work.

    I am looking at upgrading my GF Tarpon Casset, Rear Derailleur, and the Shifter to an 8 Speed or 9 Speed.

    I like SRAM products. But Im not sure what I'll have to do to make it work on my bike. I dont even know if It will accept the change.

    Im looking for a wheel set right now that will allow the rear casset. I know that the Shifter and Derailleur will mount just fine.

    I just dont know what to look for.
    What do ya'll recomend?

    I am on a budget right now. I hate paying for Summer Classes, Truck Repairs, Rent, and other expenses I need while trying to support a newly found hobby.
    Last edited by flatliner; 06-30-2011 at 12:52 AM.

  2. #2
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    People may be remaining silent because we're not familiar with a GF Tarpon Casset. Don't assume anyone knows anything just by dropping a name. Explain exactly what you've got now. Then people may be in a position to make suggestions of what is compatible with what you've already got.

    Do you now have 7-spd? 8-spd? How worn are your current components? If you're considering "upgrading," don't choose 8-spd. Its day has come & gone. Consider either 9- or 10-spd.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80
    The Casset is a Shimano MF-Z31 14-34 7spd, with an altus, the shifters a Shimano ST-EF50L 7spd.

    They arent that worn, but I had a spill and the derailleur went into the spokes and twisted pretty hard.
    I dont know if there is even enough room for a 9 or 10 speed.

    Im just trying to get an idea of what are possible upgrades.

    Thank you for the reply

  4. #4
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,330
    cassette
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  5. #5
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    The Casset is a Shimano MF-Z31 14-34 7spd, with an altus, the shifters a Shimano ST-EF50L 7spd.

    They arent that worn, but I had a spill and the derailleur went into the spokes and twisted pretty hard.
    I dont know if there is even enough room for a 9 or 10 speed.

    Im just trying to get an idea of what are possible upgrades.

    Thank you for the reply
    Okay... good info, thanks for providing. 7-8-9-spd cassettes all fit on the same freehub body so you can go with whatever you like on your current rear wheel (assuming you want to keep your current rear wheel).

    If you crashed and this changed the way your bike shifts, the solution is probably as simple as your rear derailleur hanger got bent. Take your bike to your LBS, where they have a tool that can easily straighten a bent hanger. (That said, if the hanger is super mangled, it may need to be replaced. In any case, the LBS can tell you.) It's possible your rear derailleur got bent too, but more likely it's the hanger.

    Without intending to demean your bicycle whatsoever, most new bikes that come with 7-spd drivetrains are entry level, so frankly it would not make a lot of sense to upgrade to 10-spd, which is expensive because it's so new. If straightening your rear derailleur hanger and continuing with the 7-spd you've got is not good enough for you, I recommend you upgrade to 9-spd, as higher quality 8-spd stuff is no longer being produced. 9-spd still offers lots of options (gearing, quality level, etc.)

    --sParty

    P.S. Every different speed (7-8-9-10) uses a different width chain so if you change more than one speed different from your current setup, you may have to buy new front derailleur &/or cranks/chainrings, too. In any case, if you change to 9- or 10-spd, you'll have to change chain. I ~think~ 7- and 8-spd share the same width chain.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  6. #6
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Okay... good info, thanks for providing. 7-8-9-spd cassettes all fit on the same freehub body so you can go with whatever you like on your current rear wheel (assuming you want to keep your current rear wheel).

    This is very much not correct. Don't feel to bad I got something wrong on MTBR earlier this week. 7 speed ran a narrower free hub body than 8 spd. So a 8 spd cassette will not fit onto a 7 spd free hub. Since they switched to the 8 spd width it has stayed the same. So 8, 9 and 10 are the same and a 7 will fit with a spacer behind the cassette.

    To the OP your options are to replace the freehub on your current wheel (run you about $100 with labor) or get a new wheel (run you $100 on the low end). Then upgrade gearing from there. My preference on upgrades is to do a real upgrade and not mess about. If you really want to do this right go to 10spd or stay with 7. Like Sparticus said 8 spd has lived it's day and in 2 years you will be able to say the same thing about 9 speed. Why climb half way up the ladder?

  7. #7
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    This is very much not correct. ...
    Oops, thanks for straightening me out, CF. There's only one thing I hate more than reading bad advice on mtbr... that's dispensing it. I hate whenever anybody (including yours truly) does that.

    Again, thanks & I apologize for the mistake. These days I can hardly remember what I forgot.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  8. #8
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Oops, thanks for straightening me out, CF. There's only one thing I hate more than reading bad advice on mtbr... that's dispensing it. I hate whenever anybody (including yours truly) does that.

    Again, thanks & I apologize for the mistake. These days I can hardly remember what I forgot.

    --sParty
    Considering that the compatibility that we're talking about is 15 years old I think we can give you some slack.

  9. #9
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,330
    Well, let's also remember that many 7-speed rears were also on a freewheel assembly, not a cassette.

    Also, "8-speed has lived it's day...Why climb half-way up..."
    this is complete marketing BS especially w/ MTB - 10-SPD? weaker and more exclusive parts - sign me up! not to mention that narrower ranges aer silly...'now I gitta skip a cog to get the gear I want?'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80
    I have been told to just upgrade to another bike. Believe me I'd love to get a higher end fisher.
    I have considered going Single Speed...But I dont know how that would be an improvment.

    I am looking at these wheels
    http://cgi.ebay.com/26-Mountain-Bike...item35b1907e7b
    (I do have the disc brakes to mount)

    With a Shimano Alivio 7/8 speed derailleur

    and Keep the same shifters and CASSETTE.
    Would that be the more intelligent route?

    That would leave more money to invest in a more sufficient fork.

  11. #11
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Well, let's also remember that many 7-speed rears were also on a freewheel assembly, not a cassette.

    Also, "8-speed has lived it's day...Why climb half-way up..."
    this is complete marketing BS especially w/ MTB - 10-SPD? weaker and more exclusive parts - sign me up! not to mention that narrower ranges aer silly...'now I gitta skip a cog to get the gear I want?'
    True there were many 7 speed setups on a freewheel.

    But everything else is a few steps away from the truth. If my 7 year old ipod died tomorrow would you suggest that I try and find another 7 year old unit to replace it? Somewhere there is a MTBR user that has an apple two E sitting next to whatever they are actually using as a functioning computer. Some people like hanging on to stuff for nostalgia or whatever reason they have. Good for them.

    10 speed setups are not weaker. Every time any component manufacture has added another gear people always crap on it before it's even in the hands of the public. "oh it wont shift as well" "why do we need another gear" "What was wrong with 8spd" "it wont work in the mud" the list goes on. But 2 years into whatever is new those people have enough friends that don't have problems they realize they were wrong. 10 spd mountain is the same. The new stuff is not more exclusive, not sure where you got this idea? They have wider ranges not narrower. I have a feeling you meant that the gearing was tighter, which it is. But the human body has a very limited power band so this really makes sense. When I get around to switching to 10 speed I'll stick with my 11-32 and enjoy the tighter gearing instead of going to an 11-36 that has similar jumps to the 11-32 9spd cassette I'm currently on. I've heard through the Shimano grape vine that the skunk works riders were saying the 10 speed setups were the first thing they had tested that was better than 8spd. How is that for comparison?

    9 speed has been around for 10 plus years, which might as well be a lifetime in the mountain bike world. Because of this it will continue to be supported for some time to come. 7 spd hasn't been around for almost 15 years and you can still get chains, shifters and cassettes to work with that system. 9 spd will be the same. The caveat is that you may not be able to find the quality grade you want to use.

  12. #12
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    Truth

    There is truth in here...
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    True there were many 7 speed setups on a freewheel.

    But everything else is a few steps away from the truth. If my 7 year old ipod died tomorrow would you suggest that I try and find another 7 year old unit to replace it? Somewhere there is a MTBR user that has an apple two E sitting next to whatever they are actually using as a functioning computer. Some people like hanging on to stuff for nostalgia or whatever reason they have. Good for them.

    10 speed setups are not weaker. Every time any component manufacture has added another gear people always crap on it before it's even in the hands of the public. "oh it wont shift as well" "why do we need another gear" "What was wrong with 8spd" "it wont work in the mud" the list goes on. But 2 years into whatever is new those people have enough friends that don't have problems they realize they were wrong. 10 spd mountain is the same. The new stuff is not more exclusive, not sure where you got this idea? They have wider ranges not narrower. I have a feeling you meant that the gearing was tighter, which it is. But the human body has a very limited power band so this really makes sense. When I get around to switching to 10 speed I'll stick with my 11-32 and enjoy the tighter gearing instead of going to an 11-36 that has similar jumps to the 11-32 9spd cassette I'm currently on. I've heard through the Shimano grape vine that the skunk works riders were saying the 10 speed setups were the first thing they had tested that was better than 8spd. How is that for comparison?

    9 speed has been around for 10 plus years, which might as well be a lifetime in the mountain bike world. Because of this it will continue to be supported for some time to come. 7 spd hasn't been around for almost 15 years and you can still get chains, shifters and cassettes to work with that system. 9 spd will be the same. The caveat is that you may not be able to find the quality grade you want to use.
    When 9-spd was introduced, I rebelled. I immediately heard stories of people folding the thinner 9-spd cogs, troublesome shifting, etc. So I stocked up on 8-spd stuff, buying up all the good online deals I could find... shifters & cassettes. These lasted me until I moved to 10-spd this spring. I never owned a single 9-spd component... never... not one.

    In hindsight staying dedicated to 8-spd was misguided. There was (is) nothing wrong with 9-spd.

    That said, I believe Shimano's 10-spd is superior to its 9-spd due to the reconfiguration of leverage at the shifter & derailleur. So far I am delighted with my DynaSys-equipped Sultan.

    In fact, I'm going to refit my other gearie with 10-spd soon as well. It is good stuff and I love the 36t cog on the 29" wheel (something I couldn't get with 8-spd.)*

    --sParty

    *Yes, I'm aware that a 36t cog is available in 9-spd format, but I wasn't going to invest in 9-spd once 10-spd became available, for reasons cited by customfab.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,016
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I have been told to just upgrade to another bike. Believe me I'd love to get a higher end fisher.
    I have considered going Single Speed...But I dont know how that would be an improvment.

    I am looking at these wheels
    http://cgi.ebay.com/26-Mountain-Bike...item35b1907e7b
    (I do have the disc brakes to mount)

    With a Shimano Alivio 7/8 speed derailleur

    and Keep the same shifters and CASSETTE.
    Would that be the more intelligent route?

    That would leave more money to invest in a more sufficient fork.
    Do you have rim brakes? If so, these will do the job:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tb+Wheels.aspx
    $70 + shipping for the pair or $35 for rear only.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80
    right now im just trying to find my best bang for my buck.

    my rear hub is toast....gotta take it to my favorite LBS to get it fixed. Untill all my parts get in.

    But Im thinking bout just getting an upgraded 7 or 8 speed. with a decent wheel set. get my brakes mounted. Put on my new front fork and calling it good until something else breaks.
    I realized Im a big guy, I dont need the absolute best for an entry level bike. Just need reliable parts that work well and will improve my riding.

    I guess it takes baby steps. Just like my project car.

    I appreciate all of input. Thank you!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,341
    Probably best just getting a new wheel if the hub is toast.......then if you want to go extra gears then the 9sp stuff is cheap and widely available. Lots of online places that have cheap wheels whatever brake setup you have. The front shifter/derailleur can stay the same.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    So I stocked up on 8-spd stuff, buying up all the good online deals I could find... shifters & cassettes. These lasted me until I moved to 10-spd this spring. I never owned a single 9-spd component... never... not one.

    In hindsight staying dedicated to 8-spd was misguided. There was (is) nothing wrong with 9-spd.
    I admire your admission about being misguided. Few are willing to make a statement like that in a public forum. But you really didn't do that badly either. There is nothing wrong with 8-speed either, and it sounds like you laid in a stock of quality components.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80
    Yet another quesiton.

    I am ordering a SRAM X.9, What is the difference between Long, Medium, and Short Cages on the derailleurs?

    Ill be ordering the 8 Speed ESP at the same time.

  18. #18
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,016
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Yet another quesiton.

    I am ordering a SRAM X.9, What is the difference between Long, Medium, and Short Cages on the derailleurs?

    Ill be ordering the 8 Speed ESP at the same time.
    Read the sticky at the top of the forum
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Similar Threads

  1. Lost My Way...
    By sweet heihei in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
  3. Lost Key at D-Day
    By RideFaster in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 05:11 PM
  4. Everyone gets lost
    By PedalOctaneManager in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
  5. Lost in the air!
    By Wez in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •