Village Dirtbag

I'm going crazy! Need front derailer help (yes- I searched)

Hi guys. I need some front derailer help. The "Search" function is down at the moment, but I searched back several pages manually.

Here's the story. I just upgraded my Octalink LX crankset to Hollowtech II XT (M760). I'm following the directions in the manual, and on the Park Tool website, but I just can't seem to get it adjusted properly. Here's what I'm doing.

1) Slack cable. Adjust low limit for about 1mm of clearence when in the small chainring and big cog.

2) Tighten cable. Shift to small cog in back.

3) Manually pull on the shift cable as far as I can and let chain climb to big chainring. Adjust high limit screw for 1mm clearance on the outside.

Here is where the problem comes in. After adjusting the high stop, I let go of the cable, and then climb back up using the shifter. It shifts up just fine, but while in the big chainring, the chain will rub while I'm in the 2 or 3 smallest cogs. If I adjust the cable tension with the barrel adjust so it won't rub, it then has difficulty shifting back down. Once it does shift down, I'll get cable rub in my low/low combo since the added cable tension won't allow it to shift down that last mm.

So, what gives? What am I doing wrong here. I've been fiddling with it for hours. I must've read the directions and tried the adjustment a dozen times now! It is driving me crazy! Please respond!

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Check that the derailer is parallel to the chain rings if it's rubbing on a certain spot of the derailer or just accept that it's going to rub when in the Big-Small combo (that's what I did, I was rarely in that gear anyhow).

All 26.5" all the time!
    That's the main reason I still run friction shifters on all my bikes to control the front derailleur.

One trick you might try is bending the front derailleur cage slightly in areas where the chain rubs. Sometimes angling the FD while adding a slight bend will eliminate rubbing yet still allow smooth, fast shifting.

Village Dirtbag
    Well guys, I was fed up, so just decided to leave it at "close enough". I went up and down the street for a test ride and, lo-and-behold, the drivetrain was dead quiet and would easily shift into any gear combination! I guess it works much better on the road than on the stand. I'll take it for an off-road ride tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks
    -Adam