bench pressing meat eater

I'm 215 Lbs. Deal With It

i just was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a crankset for me.
    i ride a 2004 gary fisher marlin 21"
    i am 6' 6" and wiegh 215 LBS
    i am not lookin to go all out but something better than my bontrager sport crankset that came on the bike
    i still would like to keep the 22/32/42 setup

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by evh151
    i am not lookin to go all out but something better than my bontrager sport crankset that came on the bike
    what kind of riding do you do
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member

lx= best bang for the buck

and much better shifting than the bonty cranks... might need a new BB to go with it though..

[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whoa bubba! Is that "deal with it" a slight attitude? If so you can k.m.a. If not then look at the Shimano LX Hollowtech cranks and a new bb to fit the crank arms. Really strong and long lasting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Go to the Clydesdale (big guys) forum and do a search, or repost this query there. I'm sure the crank issuecomes up frequently.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I swear by Shimano LX Octalinks. I bought a pair back in two-thousandish when I weighed nigh on 240, and I'm still cranking away on them today. They're in a single ring configuration now, but the smooth-shifting chainrings gave me a solid two summers of use.

I've got a new set on the way to install on a different bike which is currently running a set of 15 year old LX crank arms. Those are still in great shape but are getting moved to my street bike. I have every expectation my LX Hollowtechs with the Octalink interface will give me similarly long lifespans.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Yo, stickman!

If LX cranks can stand up to my massive hulking girth, they will have no problem with your bony narrow behind. You'd have to strap a ten old to your back to feel my pain.

Seriously, they would do you fine and they are consistently the best bang for the buck in cranksets. It’s not worth it to put much more than that into the Marlin anyway. The LX cranks will be the best parts on the bike if it’s otherwise stock. LX cranks are one of the best bargains in all of MTB parts and are serviceable on a bike of any price IMHO. Don’t get caught in the upgraditis cycle. It never ends and it’s way more expensive. If you want more ‘zoot’ than that, start saving for a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    If LX cranks can stand up to my massive hulking girth, they will have no problem with your bony narrow behind. You'd have to strap a ten old to your back to feel my pain.

Seriously, they would do you fine and they are consistently the best bang for the buck in cranksets. It’s not worth it to put much more than that into the Marlin anyway. The LX cranks will be the best parts on the bike if it’s otherwise stock. LX cranks are one of the best bargains in all of MTB parts and are serviceable on a bike of any price IMHO. Don’t get caught in the upgraditis cycle. It never ends and it’s way more expensive. If you want more ‘zoot’ than that, start saving for a new bike.
    im not bony and narrow didnt you see my pic hahahhaa....wel thanks all and it looks like lx for me....btw does the 5 or 10 mm difference in the crankshaft make a huge difference???

Quote Originally Posted by fred�
    Whoa bubba! Is that "deal with it" a slight attitude?.
    that caught your attention didnt it?...try it out sometime...oh and thanks for the suggestion.

...deal with it.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    does the 5 or 10 mm difference in the crankshaft make a huge difference???
    (You mean crankarm length, right?) Maybe. My cranks for the most part are, and always have been, 175mm. I have a street bike with 170mm cranks on it that just don't cut it for me. Not to say they "make a huge difference", but I notice their shortness cutting in to my pedal spin. It's perhaps got more to do with what I'm used to than what's "right" (by most guidelines, 175mm is "right" for my inseam).

I've always meant to try out 180mm cranks (not an option with LX) but don't want to take the chance on not liking them. My street bike would be a perfect platform, but I'm installing 175's instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well you are not that heavy
    I weight 250+ lbs but i am not fat (I do bodybuilding for over 30 years).
    Ok i am a little bit old now but i hold up really well.
    My Deore crankset looks strong enough but i dont know for how long
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good attitude jerk! Deal with it when your broken down on the trail 15 miles from your car. I'd bet your paycheck that your chip on your shoulder won't get you any help.

You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just a note on the "strong enough" idea. I was using some old Truativ 5D cranks (OEM fitment) and they were strong enough... they basically worked and didn't break. I've now got some RF Atlas cranks, and they work too - but they also don't flex like the old ones did. It's probably not something you'll notice until you get onto a pair of beefy cranks, but it makes a big difference to the ride.

FWIW, I'm a non-fat 210-220 lbs too, and a bit shorter than you at 6'. I'd consider the 180 length cranks, but I'll admit it's expensive to try out - maybe LBS can hook you up with a set to try out? I've used 'em before, and I'm wishing I'd gone for them over my 175s this time around. A slightly longer crank feels more natural to longer legs, but you might need to remember to spin rather than mash for a while. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Good attitude jerk! Deal with it when your broken down on the trail 15 miles from your car. I'd bet your paycheck that your chip on your shoulder won't get you any help.

You're welcome.
    well i was being sarcastic about the deal with it part and i am thankful for your suggestion, but i am not a jerk so screw off.....im done arguing

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The cranks i use are almost touching the ground so i guess thats all for me.
    You are right that longer cranks feel more natural(i am 6 feet 4'') and i tried to get the
    longest i could find from the start.
    The frame i use is the largest available (Mongoose)
    I live in Greece which is not USA so it is rather difficult to find something better.
    I could order it from US but it looks to me that the Internet bike shops in your side of the pond are not that well developed as far as International orders are concerned.
    I have great difficulty ordering what i need something that it is not true with other goods as radio control helicopters, electronics etc.
    Anyway i am very pleased with the strength of the stock Shimano Deore Cranks.
    (I suspect that they are actually LX)
    Chris

willtsmith_nwi

Standard Deore Octalink ...

They get very good reviews if you swing over to review section. I just installed a set based on those reviews and I've been very pleased so far. No creaking like square cranks, and I managed to vanquish the chain suck that I was getting on the cheapo no-name cranks that came on my Giant Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix
    The cranks i use are almost touching the ground so i guess thats all for me.
    You are right that longer cranks feel more natural(i am 6 feet 4'') and i tried to get the
    longest i could find from the start.
    The frame i use is the largest available (Mongoose)
    I live in Greece which is not USA so it is rather difficult to find something better.
    I could order it from US but it looks to me that the Internet bike shops in your side of the pond are not that well developed as far as International orders are concerned.
    I have great difficulty ordering what i need something that it is not true with other goods as radio control helicopters, electronics etc.
    Anyway i am very pleased with the strength of the stock Shimano Deore Cranks.
    (I suspect that they are actually LX)
    Chris
    sweet thanks for the suggestion.....

btw....im going to greece in febuary, whats the avg. temperature over there around that time??????

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    sweet thanks for the suggestion.....

btw....im going to greece in febuary, whats the avg. temperature over there around that time??????
    Around 12 ~ 15 degrees (Celsius).
    Actually March is the coldest here so i you stay well in to March you should see something around 8~10.
    Everything below those temperatures is extreme weather phainomena in Athens although there is a tendency for the weather to get colder and colder each year.
    Btw this year the weather was absolutely perfect but i am not sure about this year.
    If you go North you can find temperature well in to the minus region.
    If you come here and you have time to spare give me a call.
    my email is techcorp-spamers-go-away@otenet.gr
    Of course "-spamers-go-away" must be excluded.