mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I need new cables/housing: Gore RideOn, Nokon, or full length bulk stock from LBS?

It is getting time that one of my two bikes gets some new shift cables and housing. The frame is a steel frame and isn't set up to run full length housing but I could easily modify it for that. Right now I have Nokon cables for the brakes and love them but wondered if the Gore RideOn or full length bulk would be a better option. Both the Gore and Nokon systems would allow the liner to be ran full length creating a sealed system without modifying the frame so I am leaning towards one of those two, which is best?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Save yourself some money and get the bulk stuff from your LBS. High-end cable housing is not needed for shifters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    for shift housing the bulk shop stuff is just fine. for brake housing jagwire ripcord or similar has a firmer lever feel

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    Save yourself some money and get the bulk stuff from your LBS. High-end cable housing is not needed for shifters.
    What was your experience of RideOn cables?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have never used RideOn or full length bulk housing. The Nokon cables that I have used were fantastic but I am not sure if it is because they are actually a superior product to RideOn or full length bulk or if they just worked better than all the other stuff I have had because the liner runs the full length so they get less gunk/mud/dust/whatever in them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I always get a DuraAce kit from the LBS for like 20 bucks or so. The DA housing is practically the same as XTR housings. The main thing, no matter what you use, is to lube the inside the housing before running inners. And a little trick, DO NOT crimp ferrels. Its not needed, and will help them "seat" better during the break in period.
    Last edited by jmadams13; 01-22-2010 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Gore Ride on sealed is very good housing but very expensive. I would recommend Gore housing if you ride a lot in muddy and wet conditions or if you don't like changing your cables often.

I ran Sealed Gore Ride on for the last 3/4 (9 weeks, 2 races/wkd) of my cyclocross season without and issues in the nastiest conditions. The first 3 weeks my standard non-sealed cables developed more and more friction from the constant power washing in the pits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    if you don't want to drill out the cable stops, Jag Ripcords come with a jacket that fits between the cable stops and keeps out the grime. if you want full length housing, I'd still go with the ripcords. teflon cables and all the small parts for about $20 from Jenson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You will get more benefit from having no exposed inner than any other modification. Full-length outer will do this just as effectively as expensive sealed systems. Nokons are not worth the money IMHO - heavier than regular cable outer and gums up just as quickly both inside and out (plus v.expensive), if you do want to go segmented type cables then the Alligator I-links are the way to go.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    In my experience there was a noticeable improvement from XTR gear cables to Gore RideOns. Shifter paddles felt smoother and lighter to push, and the cables are sealed from the shifter, right down to the pinch bolt thanks to the inner liner and grub seals.

In terms of expense, i guess depending on how often you would change regular cables would reveal whether RideOns are worth the investment. I have not used these cables long enough to comment, but when reading up on these cables, people would often speak of its its durability, that it's lasting for years (figures varying around 3 to 5 or more years and still going) while not degrading in performance. This is on top of the above functional advantages already so IMO i think it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If money is not an object, go Gore. Have them professionally installed and enjoy.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    If money is not an object, go Gore. Have them professionally installed and enjoy.
    Yeah it takes a very competent professional to install housing and cables....

Personally, I use Jagwire L3 housing that I buy in 10m/25f "bulk" and it works extremelly good at a very reasonable price.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Bulk, all the way. I've used, and currently use, Jagwire Ripcord on a couple of brake applications, and have never noticed a difference enough to justify the price premium over plain Jagwire-in-the-box, along with their non-coated stainless cables..

The most impressive I've ever felt were Nokon beads in a super tight radius -- bend well beyond every other cable I've used locks up due to friction. But I never have bends that tight on my builds, so I've resisted. Plus, I hate dealing with separate inner liners.
    speedub.nate
    и MTBR Hiatus UFN и

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone try this cable? Looks interesting.

http://www.powercordz.com/
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

g3h6o3
    Nope but they state their cables are great for unicycles as well!!!

And of course it makes your bike faster... instantly!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd say go with Alligator I-Links, best housing I've used so far.

@skidad
    I have the Power cordz on my bike, so far they have been great, but I've only had them a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bulk Cable and Housing. Change often. Dont waste your time or money with Nokon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I used to buy bulk housing. This year I tried yokozuna on my sram red road bike, and it made a world of difference. Further, I do believe that dura ace or XTR housing does make a difference on my sram xx mtb. It seems to stay smoother, longer. Bulk housing feels good for the first week, but shifting quality seems to have a more rapid decline than xtr or DA housing.

My $.02.

It is possible that the difference afforded by yokozuna/DA/xtr housing is less noticeable on lower end shifters/ders?

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would go Gore. I have used Nokon - while some people like the look, they are ****ing noisy and get gunked up quickly due to all the little crevices, unless you heat shrink them. But that is a pain in the arse.

And I would agree with previous sentiments that cheaper housing, though similar in shifting performance for the initial period, seems to degrade in shift performance faster.