mtbr member
    Dec 2011

I need a miracle or advice

Hello to all. I am looking for a Shimano LX 8 Speed front shifter. Part number SL M569.
    I got a bike built up for a friend and of course after I get it all together and begin the front deraileur adjustment the shifter pod stops working. I need a miracle to find a front shifter or set.

Now for the advice. I was wondering if I could use a front shifter from a 9 speed set. All the fronts are 3 spd so I was wondering if they are interchangeable? I also placed a wtb ad in the classifieds but wanted opinions on the interchangability of the front shifters between 8speed or 9 speed shifter sets.

Thanks

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyp311 View Post
    Hello to all. I am looking for a Shimano LX 8 Speed front shifter. Part number SL M569.
    I got a bike built up for a friend and of course after I get it all together and begin the front deraileur adjustment the shifter pod stops working. I need a miracle to find a front shifter or set.

Now for the advice. I was wondering if I could use a front shifter from a 9 speed set. All the fronts are 3 spd so I was wondering if they are interchangeable? I also placed a wtb ad in the classifieds but wanted opinions on the interchangability of the front shifters between 8speed or 9 speed shifter sets.

Thanks
    AFAIK, crank spacing for 8 and 9 speeds is the same, so a 9 speeds front shifter could do. Or you can also get a SRAM front shifter, it doesn't matter for the front derailleur.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could also look at cleaning the shifter pod out. Shimano are very easy to take apart, and to clean out. If the shifter has been sitting around for a while, the lubrication inside the shifter hardens. When that happens, the springs in the pawls no longer engage properly. You may even be able to get away with spraying Tri-flow into the cable access port, sometimes that works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I got my miracle via ebay. Someone listed a set of the exact shifters I need, in like new condition, today with a buy it now or best offer button. I put an offer in for $30.00 and just like that they are mine.

I am not a huge ebay fan but it is times like these that you can appreciate it.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyp311 View Post
    I got my miracle via ebay. Someone listed a set of the exact shifters I need, in like new condition, today with a buy it now or best offer button. I put an offer in for $30.00 and just like that they are mine.

I am not a huge ebay fan but it is times like these that you can appreciate it.
    Happy you bought my shifters
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jacker View Post
    You could also look at cleaning the shifter pod out. Shimano are very easy to take apart, and to clean out. If the shifter has been sitting around for a while, the lubrication inside the shifter hardens. When that happens, the springs in the pawls no longer engage properly. You may even be able to get away with spraying Tri-flow into the cable access port, sometimes that works.
    I wouldn't go any farther than taking the cover off the shifter. But flushing it with WD through the cable port is just as effective.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have these SL-M569 shifters but I have lost a pair of screws. I wonder If you stil have the old ones so maybe I can buy you the screws I need

Cheers!