Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I need a longer hose!

565 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Gondo 
#1 ·
I'm upgrading to a longer fork ('04 talas to '08 talas), and I'm thinking my brake hose will end up too short. What is the best route to go? I'm using 960 XTR dual control levers. Should I hit up my LBS for new hose, or is there something out there that works better? When I built the bike the levers came with the hose attached at the lever, and I cut & fastened the caliper end, but if I have to replace the entire hose, I'm not sure exactly how to go about it.

#4 ·
If it is too short then you have no other choice but to get new hydralic cables.

If you want to re-route your exisiting cables, you need to disconnect the hose from the brake lever. You can order a new olive through your LBS and reuse everything else.

You'll also need to bleed the brakes no matter which method you choose.

#7 ·
If your getting the shop to install the fork, ask if they'll redo the hydraulic brake at the same time free of charge. You'll just pay for the hose.

If you wanna do it yourself, buy some new hydraulic hose, and go ahead and reroute the hose.

The old hose should work though. The bend at the lever might get a little sharp that's it. But 20mm extra on the fork isn't that much. Try it out and see how that goes.

But if your buying the fork through a dealer, they should install it free of charge, and get them to check the brake at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.