Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    35

    I need a light 11-36 tooth 9-speed cassette...

    Where can I find one? What do you guys recommend. Im having a hard time even finding one.

    What I need it to have:

    9-speed
    11-36 teeth
    Prefer lightweight


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,593
    I think you have to go to 10 speed for light. The SLX was a total disappointment because they didn't use al spiders.
    "It looks flexy"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevereeneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    642
    Yes, I agree that the lack of a quality 9-speed 36t cassette is a PITA ... the lack of a nice or even adequate carrier that won't eat aluminum freehubs is annoying - everyone is looking at 10 speed, gotta love planned obsolescence...

    Check out this thread...

    not light-weight by any means - but you could do the same thing with one the many $200-$300 cassettes out there... if you've got the cash.

    The only 9-speed cassette with a 36 that I know of the is the "Deore" level... HG61 (12-36). I don't know anything about the SLX 9-speed with a 36t... is it 11-36 or 12-36.

    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cholopolitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    218

    Action Tec

    Couldn't you put a 36t action tec (or similar) cog onto your cassette... ditch the 11?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    35
    I suppose I could go 12-36, what are my options in that range?

  6. #6
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo-L
    I suppose I could go 12-36, what are my options in that range?
    As mentioned, go with a 11-32 XT, XTR, or PG 990 cassette and remove the 11t (you can use the lockring and the 12t just fine) and add a 36t Action Tec cog

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    179
    I used an 11-32 XT and ditched the 12. I used 11 and never the 12.

  8. #8
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,742
    Or if you want ultimate light weight, get the PG999 cassette (which is an 11-32) then install the Action-Tech Ti 36t gear.

  9. #9
    jceahodges
    Reputation: jceahodges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    56

    Need spacer?

    I'm in the same boat and had not thought of this... great idea. I suppose you need a spacer between the 32 and the 36, yes? If so, is this Action Tec item what you need... "Delrin cog Spacer for 8 or 9 spd., $3.50, 3206" Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    As mentioned, go with a 11-32 XT, XTR, or PG 990 cassette and remove the 11t (you can use the lockring and the 12t just fine) and add a 36t Action Tec cog

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162
    I think the ActionTec 36 comes with a spacer. Ask them when you order. I went with the ActionTec 36 and the locking 11. Used an XTR 11-34, dropped the 12, replaced the 11. Added 50 grams to the cassette.

  11. #11
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,575
    Just wait for the Recon 11-36 Titanium 9 speed cassettes to become available with more of their dealers.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  12. #12
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,646
    Why 36? Are your riding a 29er?

    I assume you had a 26er before? What was the low cassette gear that bike, 34?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    35
    Yes, a 29er

    Im doing a 1x9 setup, but dont want to totally lose the low end of the current granny gear and mid range rear cassette.

    Im hoping a 36tooth will help with that. After inputting the gears, it seems I can get pretty close.

  14. #14
    FKA Malibu412
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,268
    I'd consider a 38 tooth action tec cog if I was running 1x9 on a 29... if one is available.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    I'd consider a 38 tooth action tec cog if I was running 1x9 on a 29... if one is available.
    they do make one, but it's $73 according to their site

  16. #16
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,575
    They make a 39T cog also.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cholopolitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    218
    38 and 39 sound like crazy talk... no reach issues on a long cage derailleur? anyone run this on a 1x9?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo-L
    Yes, a 29er

    Im doing a 1x9 setup, but dont want to totally lose the low end of the current granny gear and mid range rear cassette.

    Im hoping a 36tooth will help with that. After inputting the gears, it seems I can get pretty close.
    I have no experience with this one, but it exist.
    http://luckynino.blogspot.com/2010/0...1-3612-36.html

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    35
    If I go the actiontec route, all I do is remove the current 34 tooth, and add the 36 tooth? Does it just unbolt off of the cassette spider?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo-L
    If I go the actiontec route, all I do is remove the current 34 tooth, and add the 36 tooth? Does it just unbolt off of the cassette spider?
    nope, you leave that end of the cassette alone and remove the 11t. You might need a special lockring to tighten against the 13t cog though.

    An 11-32t cassette is honestly a better fit (in my opinion) for adding a 36t cassette because the first cogs are 11-12-14 so you can remove either the 11t or 12t

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subydoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    155

    Hmmmmmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    nope, you leave that end of the cassette alone and remove the 11t. You might need a special lockring to tighten against the 13t cog though.

    An 11-32t cassette is honestly a better fit (in my opinion) for adding a 36t cassette because the first cogs are 11-12-14 so you can remove either the 11t or 12t

    So if I ditch the 12, I just put the 11 right up against the 14, and it works out OK.

    I only have an 11-34 here to look at, and on that the 11 fits into the 13, kind of recesses in there. It looks like if I ditch the 13, then the gap between the 11 and 15 is larger than it should be because the 15 does not have the recess.

    Will ditching the 12 on an 11-32 give the same result? Guess it sounds like you have already done it, but let me know if I am missing something.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by subydoo
    So if I ditch the 12, I just put the 11 right up against the 14, and it works out OK.

    I only have an 11-34 here to look at, and on that the 11 fits into the 13, kind of recesses in there. It looks like if I ditch the 13, then the gap between the 11 and 15 is larger than it should be because the 15 does not have the recess.

    Will ditching the 12 on an 11-32 give the same result? Guess it sounds like you have already done it, but let me know if I am missing something.
    Sorry, haven't done that personally... just going off of success stories that others have shared

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by subydoo
    So if I ditch the 12, I just put the 11 right up against the 14, and it works out OK.

    I only have an 11-34 here to look at, and on that the 11 fits into the 13, kind of recesses in there. It looks like if I ditch the 13, then the gap between the 11 and 15 is larger than it should be because the 15 does not have the recess.

    Will ditching the 12 on an 11-32 give the same result? Guess it sounds like you have already done it, but let me know if I am missing something.
    This worked fine on my 11-32 XT cassette. 11-15 would feel like a pretty significant jump when pedaling at that end of the cassette. Put it together and it either works or it doesn't. You can buy a 13 tooth end cog for under $10 as well. Then you would have 13-15-etc.

    I really enjoy my custom gearing. I do wish someone made a 9 or 10 tooth locking cog though. I'd be fine going from 14 to 9. Would be like having overdrive.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead451
    This worked fine on my 11-32 XT cassette. 11-15 would feel like a pretty significant jump when pedaling at that end of the cassette. Put it together and it either works or it doesn't. You can buy a 13 tooth end cog for under $10 as well. Then you would have 13-15-etc.

    I really enjoy my custom gearing. I do wish someone made a 9 or 10 tooth locking cog though. I'd be fine going from 14 to 9. Would be like having overdrive.
    Back in the 90's someone was making this tinsy little 9 or 10t. Maybe it was called the shark or something? All the teeth were curved like a shark fin.
    "It looks flexy"

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    59
    I've been looking for the same thing for my 1x9 29er that I use for endurance races. The larger Action Tec cog sounds perfect and I'm thinking about adding the 38t for those late in the race efforts. Just a couple questions:
    1) If I use an 11-32 cassette, would it be too big a jump to go from the 32t to the 38t, or should I use an 11-34 cassette?
    2) Can my X-9 mid-cage rd handle a 38t?
    3) Does anyone know if SRAM or Shimano has a decent 11-36 cassette in the works?

    Thanks for your input!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •