Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I need help. installed bash guard. Can't adjust derailleur

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  roxtar 
#1 ·
I just bought a bash guard and installed it today.
My set up was 3 X 9
I now have a 2 x 9 since I put the bash guard on.
This video is about the most helpful I could find but it still hasn't solved my problem
How to install a Front Derailleur - YouTube

How do you adjust a 3 speed front derailleur to work on only 2 rings?

Is there a good how to video on adjusting the front derailleur after removing a ring?

I have been messing with this for about 2 hours now and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

HELP

#5 ·
The trigger still clicks 3 times. Just like it would if you were switching between gears.
So when I shift up once from the smallest to the middle ring, I can still push it more as if it would go on the largest ring.
So then I can actually click it down twice instead of just once how it needs to be.

Did that make sense?

Is it supposed to do that or can you adjust one click out of it?

#7 ·
I just did the same thing and had a similar problem.
I put a longer limit screw in my derailleur and then it didn't hit right; kept getting wedged in place.
My temporary fix was to use the shifter as the limit. I just adjusted the cable to where it was at the end of the shifters limit before it would allow the chain to drop off. Not a particularly elegant solution but It's worked fine so far. It helps that I'm using Sram twisties. They have no particular detents for 1,2,3.

My permanent fix is in the mail now, a new Sram X9 2X front derailleur.

#10 ·
My permanent fix is in the mail now, a new Sram X9 2X front derailleur.
Just be aware that the 2x front derailleurs are designed around a different amount of cable pull than your 3x shifter will have in the first shift. 3x shifters pull a larger amount of cable in the first upshift than the second and I'm pretty sure these 2x FDs are designed around the same amount of pull as the second upshift on a 3x shifter. I don't doubt that you can get it to work, just warning you that it might not be as smooth and trouble-free as you hope

#14 · (Edited)
The 2x f der is made for smaller diameter rings (I believe 36T is the biggest you can use). The cage radius is noticeably smaller than a 3x so it will wrap around the smaller rings better.
The best part, however, is this; Sram came up with a great new design for their direct mount f derailleur. The cable stop is actually part of the derailleur itself:

You can see the cable stop sticking up just to the left of the limit screws.

This puts all the stress from shifting into the derailleur itself. There's no pulling from the frame to the derailleur and no cable angle problems. You just run the cable housing all the way to the derailleur. This also make setup even easier since derailleur placement is independent of cable pull.
The fly in the ointment? Sram only does this with their direct mount f derailleurs, not on the clamp mounts. Yea it sucks because you don't have a direct mount frame, right? Neither do I.
However...

Product Logo Technology Grey Plastic

Problem Solvers

That's the part I hope to get in today.
This should make a killer, super-easy-to-set-up front 2x system.
All adjustments are completely independent of each other.

#9 ·
When I converted my 22/32/44 XT 9 speed to 28/40 + bash, I needed to change the bb spacers to get stay clearance and to get a better chainline for 2 x 9 , then accounted for the difference in crank positioning by adjusting the pedals. I never had an issue with the original XT FD could limit it fine with the original screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.