mtbr member
    May 2011

I need help. installed bash guard. Can't adjust derailleur

I just bought a bash guard and installed it today.
    My set up was 3 X 9
    I now have a 2 x 9 since I put the bash guard on.
    This video is about the most helpful I could find but it still hasn't solved my problem
    How to install a Front Derailleur - YouTube

How do you adjust a 3 speed front derailleur to work on only 2 rings?

Is there a good how to video on adjusting the front derailleur after removing a ring?

I have been messing with this for about 2 hours now and cannot for the life of me figure it out.

HELP

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just adjust the high limit screw so the FD can't go out to third.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can screw the high limit screw in all the way and it never touches.

Rub it............
    You might have to put a longer screw in place for the high limit adjustment to work properly.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The trigger still clicks 3 times. Just like it would if you were switching between gears.
    So when I shift up once from the smallest to the middle ring, I can still push it more as if it would go on the largest ring.
    So then I can actually click it down twice instead of just once how it needs to be.

Did that make sense?

Is it supposed to do that or can you adjust one click out of it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds like you need a 2 speed shifter for your front deraiiluer to me, but im totally a noob when it comes to this so id find some info to back that up.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    I just did the same thing and had a similar problem.
    I put a longer limit screw in my derailleur and then it didn't hit right; kept getting wedged in place.
    My temporary fix was to use the shifter as the limit. I just adjusted the cable to where it was at the end of the shifters limit before it would allow the chain to drop off. Not a particularly elegant solution but It's worked fine so far. It helps that I'm using Sram twisties. They have no particular detents for 1,2,3.

My permanent fix is in the mail now, a new Sram X9 2X front derailleur.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    U can adjust your cable tension too. I don't believe they make 2 speed specific derailuers.

Edit: Didn't see U actually ordered one. News to me! I've never had a problem using a regular derailuer. If it's adjusted correctly it will work

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    When I converted my 22/32/44 XT 9 speed to 28/40 + bash, I needed to change the bb spacers to get stay clearance and to get a better chainline for 2 x 9 , then accounted for the difference in crank positioning by adjusting the pedals. I never had an issue with the original XT FD could limit it fine with the original screws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    My permanent fix is in the mail now, a new Sram X9 2X front derailleur.
    Just be aware that the 2x front derailleurs are designed around a different amount of cable pull than your 3x shifter will have in the first shift. 3x shifters pull a larger amount of cable in the first upshift than the second and I'm pretty sure these 2x FDs are designed around the same amount of pull as the second upshift on a 3x shifter. I don't doubt that you can get it to work, just warning you that it might not be as smooth and trouble-free as you hope

mtbr member
    Go one step better and just do 1x9. Take your shifter off and you won't have to worry about it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Just be aware that the 2x front derailleurs are designed around a different amount of cable pull than your 3x shifter will have in the first shift. 3x shifters pull a larger amount of cable in the first upshift than the second and I'm pretty sure these 2x FDs are designed around the same amount of pull as the second upshift on a 3x shifter. I don't doubt that you can get it to work, just warning you that it might not be as smooth and trouble-free as you hope
    Yes, a 3X shifter will pull more cable than a 2X. This is a good thing and makes setup even easier.
    It isn't like a rear derailleur where you have nine or ten detents that have to line up perfectly with the same nine or ten cogs.
    Your front shifter should have a bunch of small detents that allow you to fine tune your derailleur position (If it doesn't, dump it and get a good twist shifter ) The numbers in the little window obviously won't line up but who cares. Everything else will work perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Yes, a 3X shifter will pull more cable than a 2X. This is a good thing and makes setup even easier.
    It isn't like a rear derailleur where you have nine or ten detents that have to line up perfectly with the same nine or ten cogs.
    Your front shifter should have a bunch of small detents that allow you to fine tune your derailleur position (If it doesn't, dump it and get a good twist shifter ) The numbers in the little window obviously won't line up but who cares. Everything else will work perfectly.
    Haha, I missed that you are running Twisties. Yes, that helps.

In general too much cable pull can still cause problems though. You might have to set it up with a loose cable in the first position so that you don't run out of room and hit the fd's limit before the final shift to can more far enough for the shifter to click into place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS cuda' View Post
    U can adjust your cable tension too. I don't believe they make 2 speed specific derailuers.

Edit: Didn't see U actually ordered one. News to me! I've never had a problem using a regular derailuer. If it's adjusted correctly it will work
    The 2x f der is made for smaller diameter rings (I believe 36T is the biggest you can use). The cage radius is noticeably smaller than a 3x so it will wrap around the smaller rings better.
    The best part, however, is this; Sram came up with a great new design for their direct mount f derailleur. The cable stop is actually part of the derailleur itself:

You can see the cable stop sticking up just to the left of the limit screws.

This puts all the stress from shifting into the derailleur itself. There's no pulling from the frame to the derailleur and no cable angle problems. You just run the cable housing all the way to the derailleur. This also make setup even easier since derailleur placement is independent of cable pull.
    The fly in the ointment? Sram only does this with their direct mount f derailleurs, not on the clamp mounts. Yea it sucks because you don't have a direct mount frame, right? Neither do I.
    However...

Name:  fs13221-390x390.png
Views: 675
Size:  113.5 KB

Problem Solvers

That's the part I hope to get in today.
    This should make a killer, super-easy-to-set-up front 2x system.
    All adjustments are completely independent of each other.
    Last edited by roxtar; 10-07-2011 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Haha, I missed that you are running Twisties. Yes, that helps.

In general too much cable pull can still cause problems though. You might have to set it up with a loose cable in the first position so that you don't run out of room and hit the fd's limit before the final shift to can more far enough for the shifter to click into place.
    That's another thing I love about twisties; you don't have a few detents, you have about 20. It's so much easier to fine tune your f der with them.
    I actually emailed Sram about their apparent decision to phase out twisties in their high end lines.
    They said they fully intend to release X9, XO, and possibly XX twisties soon.