mtbr member
    Mar 2006

i need crank help

two local bike shops have not putforth effort in helping me so i'm on my own...

my square taper cranks keep coming loose (not to mention they have trekking type gears - high teeth count)... i'm sick of it. time for new cranks.

i have been looking at low end truvative (fire x), shimano deore, and race face. any suggestions as to what is best and what will last? i'm 210lb so i'd like something that can stand up to a little abuse.

also, if i did stay with the same bottom bracket (suntour square taper) can i just replace the arms (because of being rounded out) and rings? will i have to stick with suntour pieces to work with that bottom bracket?

-edit- just looking into the suntour cranks, i have model xc100, it'd at least like to move up to xctXXX for the interchangable rings... i may eventually go single speed.

suntour's options can be seen here
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID...gory&tnid=1231
    Last edited by mjmi11er; 04-20-2007 at 07:17 AM.

pronounced may-duh
    any square taper crank arms will go on your square taper BB.

But first a question: are you crank arms held on with nuts or bolts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    they are held in place with hex bolts...
    i've tightened them as much as possible with allen keys but of course that's not very tight. i local shop has tightened them with about a foot and a half long allen key very tightly and they still came loose.

pronounced may-duh
    OK you probably should just but a new crankset and BB. How much do you want to spend?

You will probably be looking at a splined type BB such as ISIS or Octalink. You can get a reliable crank and bb for 100.00. For 150 you could get a race face evolve X-type with the outboard bearings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    the cheap the better, but i would be willing to pay more for something that is going to last and stand up to some abuse.

are there any of those types of bottom brackets that have bearing issues. i have read on here there are certain type that tend ot wear out faster then others.

what would you reccomend?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Nothing wrong with square taper, and it'll be less expensive. You could get a Sugino Impel or similar (look for something w/ steel rings at the small and middle position) from Universal Cycles (or better yet, call Larry at MtnHighCyclery or Chad at Red Barn), and a moderately priced bottom bracket. It'd run you less than $100 total and be easy to convert to SS when you want with just an SS ring up front.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mjmi11er
    the cheap the better, but i would be willing to pay more for something that is going to last and stand up to some abuse.

are there any of those types of bottom brackets that have bearing issues. i have read on here there are certain type that tend ot wear out faster then others.

what would you reccomend?
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    you need to be careful about the bb that you buy, the length. Your old one will probably not be compatible with your new crank set. Some of them are recessed, some are level. Just depending on what crank you get. If you have an SR suntour they are usually recessed, meaning they have longer BB. Just to keep that in mind. They are fairly cheap to replace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why not just get some loctite for the bolts if they come loose?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i have tried loctite, both blue and red formulas, they still work their way loose over time

i believe the cranks arms have become rounded out

and i'd like to have some normal mtb rings in the front vs the trekking sized ones i have

I'm SUCH a square....
    RF Evolve-X (outboard BB -- i weigh 220+ & LOVE 'EM!)
    or
    Shim Octalink -- very dependable (Deore comes this way now, too!)

44/32/22 rings both ways....

somebody OUR size will make a square-taper crank a short-lived b/tch!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ok.

yes, i believe i have (made the square taper a short lived b)

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    once the square taper gets rounded (riding while loose) thats it, and that goes for the BB & cranks. I just swapped out a truvativ set on my nephews bike. I put on a shimano BB & Alvio crankset $66 total. Of course they are not the best but the cheapest, if you can afford it you can pick up a xt set for $160