I keep breaking chains!

Printable View

• 12-11-2012
    bgfthntr
    I keep breaking chains!
    I need some recommendations guys. I keep breaking chains this fall and I'm looking for a SUPER strong chain. I'm using a SRAM 11-34 cassette, Race Face crank with a 2 chain-ring setup and a KMC X9.93 9-Speed Chain. I don't think anything is going on with the drive train being incorrectly setup I think it's me. I like to push tall gears and generally like to stay in the "middle" 32T ring. I'm 6'1" 185 lbs on a '09 FSR.XC

Can you recommend a chain?

thanks....
  • 12-11-2012
    t-dawg
    Wipperman might be a good choice but there has to be something going on if you are breakig chains. Maybe a bent tooth or a worm part? I have had trouble with quick links coming apart (which one would think was impossible) but it happens. Good luck! let us know how you solve your issue.
  • 12-11-2012
    bgfthntr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by t-dawg View Post
    Wipperman might be a good choice but there has to be something going on if you are breakig chains. Maybe a bent tooth or a worm part? I have had trouble with quick links coming apart (which one would think was impossible) but it happens. Good luck! let us know how you solve your issue.

Thanks....

No worn parts. New cassette and chainrings. However i'll look for a bent tooth......
  • 12-11-2012
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bgfthntr View Post
    I need some recommendations guys. I keep breaking chains this fall and I'm looking for a SUPER strong chain. I'm using a SRAM 11-34 cassette, Race Face crank with a 2 chain-ring setup and a KMC X9.93 9-Speed Chain. I don't think anything is going on with the drive train being incorrectly setup I think it's me. I like to push tall gears and generally like to stay in the "middle" 32T ring. I'm 6'1" 185 lbs on a '09 FSR.XC

thanks....

Learn to shift better.

If you are staying in the middle then even if you are pushing tall gears you are not overly loading a chain....

The load on a chain is increased when shifting or when running cross chained....not from pedal torque.
  • 12-11-2012
    bgfthntr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Learn to shift better.

If you are staying in the middle then even if you are pushing tall gears you are not overly loading a chain....

The load on a chain is increased when shifting or when running cross chained....not from pedal torque.

LOL..... You're probably right.....:thumbsup:
  • 12-13-2012
    zerodish
  • 12-13-2012
    wschruba
    Ok, so, we need to know: what chains do you keep breaking? How are they breaking?
  • 12-13-2012
    mitzikatzi
    Quote:
    A 2.5 year old blog post about one batch (the initial one?) failing. Not an ongoing problem to my knowledge.
  • 12-13-2012
    solomon707
    It's never too late to repent your sins and go 8-speed :thumbsup:
  • 12-13-2012
    ColinL
    Where are your chains breaking? The quick link, or elsewhere? Are you replacing the broken chains, or putting in a new quick link and continuing to use?

Inspect the failed chains and the one you're running now. Do you see any cracks in the side plates, or any rust?

Finally, what's your chain maintenance technique? What lube do you use, how often, and how do you clean the drivetrain?
  • 01-04-2013
    bgfthntr
    well i changed my chainline and I'm hoping that it helps.
  • 01-04-2013
    Roadsters
    Don't rule out the possibility of the chain coming apart because it was assembled with the pin installed at the incorrect depth.

Please post a picture of a chain with a link that actually snapped.
  • 01-04-2013
    Aresab
    I have a feeling it's more along the lines of shifting under significant load or chainline/crossing (as you pointed out a change you made) rather than chain strength, the X9.93 is a pretty strong chain. I'm 6.0 and 215 and pound my bike up hills with the same chain and have had good results for a few years (I hate to jinx myself now though...).
  • 01-04-2013
    AlexRandall
    I'd put it down to either poor joins, cut too short or some mechanical issue on the bike that predisposes normally strong chains to fail.

How many have broken and precisely how and where did they break? What method have you used to join the chains if it is you fitting them?

A continual problem highlights not a chain weakness but some other factor which is common across all chains being used.
  • 01-04-2013
    Highlander1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bgfthntr View Post

thanks....

Its all about not loading the chain to much when changing gears, do that and you will not break chains
  • 01-04-2013
    Metamorphic
    I broke a kmc a SRAM and a shimano. All with about 300-400 miles. My shop put on a Campy. I'm within spitting distance of 1000 mi and it just started to show some stretch.
  • 01-05-2013
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    I'd put it down to either poor joins, cut too short or some mechanical issue on the bike that predisposes normally strong chains to fail.

How many have broken and precisely how and where did they break? What method have you used to join the chains if it is you fitting them?

A continual problem highlights not a chain weakness but some other factor which is common across all chains being used.

+1 Yes. The OP didn't answer any of my questions above when he bumped this thread, but he's clearly doing something wrong with assembly, shifting technique, chain maintenance or all three. Chains do not magically break.