banned

I have Two Questions. One: Hub. Two: Chainring

Ok, so I got a bunch of cool stuff for Christmas. I also found out yesterday that my freehub body is worn out and has a bunch of wobble. Ok, so it's only 2cm of wobble but it wobbles when I spin the wheel. Now, would it be bad to put the stuff on? Chainring, cassette, and new chain. Also, since my dad doesn't want to put the stuff on, could I put just the chainring and bash guard from my chainguide on and not mess up the rings? My chain isn't THAT worn. The cassette still shifts ok. I can't wait for the new stuff but I'm a skater kid and I'm tired of tearing up the hem on my right leg causing them to rip really bad.

So, could I put the chainring and bash guard on with the old cassette and chain. My front ring isn't even that worn. I just got a bigger one and it's a SS ring.

Ok, now the LBS messed my hub up a little bit. They decided it'd be cheaper to just build me a new wheel than fix this one. Now what kind of hub should I get? I ride DH/FR and DJ, urban/street, and something else I probably forgot. I do it all. I weigh 180 right this second and I ride really hard. Keep in mind I have had this '05 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc for 6 months.

I can get a Profile Racing hub for $135 and I only have to pay half of it. The labor for the wheel is free and all I need is the rear hub.

Are there any other hubs for around the same price I should consider that are better?

Man, I just wanna put the bash on but I want to get the chainring on at the same time because I'm lazy.

Formerly DMR For Life
    i would avoid putting the new chainring on till you put your new cassete and chain on...if your going to be doing a lot of riding in between now and when you'll be putting the cassete/chain on then i would put the bash gaurd on...and wait to do the chainring...especially since you can put the bash guard on without taking the crank off
    hope that made sense
    DMR

banned
    I can? LOL, I just took the cranks off and the BB out. Oh well, it needed cleaned and re greased on the threads anyways. Thanks... that's what I thought. Yeah, I ride a lot. Hopefully I'll have the wheel before the end of break so I can get this stuff installed. I actually talked my dad into the bash because he didn't want me to originally.

Now, with the slight wobble in my freehub, would it be bad if I put all my stuff on?

Formerly DMR For Life
    lol yeah of course duh ...teaching the knowledgable something they already know is a bit uselless isn't it
    The wobble is 2cm or 2mm i hope the later if the former i would be checking it out more seriously and possibly not right (I Know i hate that thought to only i'm off mine for another 1.5-2weeks yet)

Anyway i wouldn't be worried about the wobble if it is 2mm...i would be more worried that the chain wears the chainrings, possibly causing problems later on...althought thats not likely since your only running one ring up front

banned
    Well hot damn, the Christmas spirit made my dad have a change of heart. When he comes back inside, we'll be on a journey to get my cranks off and get it all done.

banned
    *Update.

Got the shifter, derailleur and chain off. I have lockon grips so that was easy. Have to set up the chainguide which, now that I read over it 10-20 times, it seems fairly easy. I'm going to have my dad press the bearing in and cut the stuff off.

Wow, this bash guard just has me going... duuhhhhhh wowwww.

banned
    Wow, as fate would have it...

Go downstairs and my cassette tool I left on my cassette... vanished.

Just great...

Formerly DMR For Life
    good luck finding that tool
    DMR

banned
    Yeah. Didn't find it. Set up my chain guide. I didn't understand the directions and I figured out that my crank face hit the plate... I sat down and looked it over and thought... well, my cranks are the same. The 2.5mm spacer was removed because of the mount... flip the mount over and it's all good.

I got the new chain on. Harder than hell to break... but no stiff links...

Going to get a new tool tomorrow... maybe a new crank puller too. Mine goes into the spindle on the drive side. Cheers and happy holidays everyone.

Just the little ride I went on was awesome. I can't wait. Sure is quiet now.

banned
    HOLY CRAP.

Soo nice. All set up correctly.

Went, got some lube and the tool for $16.95... put the cassette on at the LBS. All I need to do now is adjust a limit screw so it'll shift into 9th a little more consistently.

Thanks for the help... the 30mins on my way back doing random drops and jumps was probably the best it's ever ridden. I used the same length chain with the boomerang in the furthest down position so it tensions the chain less.... I could tension it more but I'd have to add links and my dad said he's done... oh well, it's soo purrty.

Off to parktools.com to figure out which is which screw because I forgot.

Oh, and is Finish Line Krytech Lube any good? It better be... I bought some for $8

Formerly DMR For Life
    the krytech is horrendous no joke it somehow found every bit of dirt that ever hit my bike...i'm currently using the teflon-plus seems to work a bit better it being a dry-lube...enjoy the ride
    DMR

banned
    Odd... I rode through mud like crazy today... wow, no slap is so nice.

Wipe the chain just barely and it's sparkling clean like new...

I put on 4 layers and let it set, lightly wiped the excess and rode for 4 hours.

Oh well, I might grab some other types of lube at some point. I still have like $25 on me...