mtbr member

I found my months old creak! Now what?

After months of hunting down a creak, I finally found it. I'd only hear it when I put a lot of force on the pedals - standing or pushing big gears. It's coming from where my crank arm interfaces with my bottom bracket. It seems like there must be play there. The splines on my bottom bracket had already been greased but when I also greased the inside cup of the crankarm (presumably where it's rubbing the BB) the noise went away. By the way, this is a 2 1/2 year old Shimano XT 752 crankset and brand new shimano BB.

What could cause this and what can I do about it? I always grease the splines of my BB but not the whole spindle. Is the whole spindle supposed to be greased and I just haven't been doing that all this time? Do the dust caps need periodic replacing to help for a snug fit? The creak is gone for now, I'm looking for help to make sure it doesn't come back and haunt my rides once again.
    Last edited by kranest; 07-22-2006 at 10:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I teflon taped the sh*t out of the splines, spindles, and threads on my BB. I guess there's a more snug fit now b/c of this and it isn't creaking at all. I had lubed it last night and it seemed to have it mostly taken care of but this morning the creak came back. The teflon tape seems to be working much better.

My question is will this hold up for a good while? or do I need to be looking for a new crankset? I presume the arm interface area is worn out. Is 2 1/2 yrs. a normal life span for these cranks? and is this common with splined cransets? I'm wondering if I should be looking at a little more expensive external bearing XT crankset if I have to replace so I don't have this problem again if I buy the cheaper XT splined.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So it wasn't the Blur frame afterall that was causing the creaks?

mtbr member
    I wish it were just one - I've been slowly trying to put to rest 3 of them. I had a clicking by my pedals, solved that. This creak by my bottom bracket, and the Blur making its own funny noises in the rear from the dropouts being 5 mm wider (140mm instead of 135mm - have no idea why). I had to really torque it down with the rear skewer - the wider dropouts caused my rear disc brakes to rub and the rear triangle made it's own cute little special sound when climbing.

I've sent the Blur XC off for warranty and should get it back w/ a new rear triangle. At that point I'm selling it. It'll be in near new shape for a future owner. They'll appreciate the ride quality and hopefully have better maintenance luck than I've had.

Nice threading together of threads on your part though.

No, that's not phonetic
    The XT spiders sometimes also develop creaks. I drip some blue Loctite in the spaces around the spider/crank arm interface which seeps in and quiets the noise, not by binding the parts (the blue is not strong enough for that), but by making a non-noisy surface as opposed to metal-on-metal or dusty interfaces.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.