mtbr member

I feel like I cheated on my wife - Shimano to SRAM

I just purchased new x.9 RDR and shifters to replace LX RDR and Deore shifters. I've never had anything but Shimano but they are so expensive and the shifting was mediocre at best. Besides, to upgrade I would have to get the brake lever shifter combo and I don't really wan that. I like to adjust my stuff for my style for my style of riding.

Price was perfect at Pricepoint. $119 for combo. I sure hope I'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    Ya, but is your wife an 800 lb beheamoth that locks you to her ankle, and won't let you hang out with your friends, makes you eat only what she feeds you, sweats all the time and gives you mediocre shifting performance? Okay, so the analogy doesn't really work, but neither does shitmano shifters/derailleurs. It's okay, SRAM will make you forget all about that nasty ol' dictator, i mean wife of yours. -t

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Once you get the SRAM stuff setup you'll forget all about the relationship you had. Give it 2-3 miles to get used to the thumb shifters (Assuming you got triggers) and you will never look back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What's the verdict? I'm looking at new shifters too - have you had a chance to test out the shifters and derailer?

Out riding my Scalpel

SRAM is catching Shimano!

SRAM triggers are great. I forgot all about Shimano. Ok I still have some Shimano but not for long. The only Shimano I have is my rear derailleur and XT Cranks. I'm soon to upgrade to all SRAM X.9, love SRAM stuff. Oh the Rocket Triggers are the best out there and work great with my front LX Derailleur and my XTR derailleur. I love them. My buddy just put on new Rocket Triggers and really loves them. He replaced his XT shifters. SRAM is good stuff.

willtsmith_nwi

Don't cheat DIVORCE!!!!

Shimano isn't like a "traditional" marriage. It's more like a cult. Once your in, you can only associate with other cult members (shifters derailleurs, crank/bottom brackets, brakes/integrated shifters, hubs/rotors, etc...).

Best to divorce yourself from the cult and go free agent. Be a component "bachelor" that can "hook up" with SRAM and than spend some time with Race Face, etc...

No doubt Shimano's next step will be manufacturing Saint frames with all proprietary geometries so EVERY part in your bike must be manufactured by them.

And worst yet, your Shimano wife won't "put out". That is, they are intentionally constricting supply. Best to find a spouse that isn't so "frigid" on access to the "components".

;-)

willtsmith_nwi

Don't forget the grips !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Once you get the SRAM stuff setup you'll forget all about the relationship you had. Give it 2-3 miles to get used to the thumb shifters (Assuming you got triggers) and you will never look back.
    Don't forget GripShifts!!!

There is nothing like peaking a hill and being able to drop 8 gears in one motion. Then grabbing 5 back at the bottom with the similar ease!!!!!

I had the triggers and they were OK and workeable. But I simply missed the ability to drop multiple gears at once.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    I just purchased new x.9 RDR and shifters to replace LX RDR and Deore shifters. I've never had anything but Shimano but they are so expensive and the shifting was mediocre at best. Besides, to upgrade I would have to get the brake lever shifter combo and I don't really wan that. I like to adjust my stuff for my style for my style of riding.

Price was perfect at Pricepoint. $119 for combo. I sure hope I'm happy with it.
    Cheated with the GIRL OF YOUR DREAMS! It's more liberating than anything. I love my stuff. I've had it on for several months and have not had to adjust it at all (X.0 GripShift/X.9 Rear). When the front derailleur comes out, I'm on board...and then it's new cranks/chainrings and I'll be FREE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ... Going the other way

Just bought a used Trek 9.8 hardtail with SRAM X9 shifters and rear drlr. I just didn't care for the way it shifted, maybe cause these parts were well worn form use by the previous owner. Anyway, I'm accumulating everything I need to switch the bike over to full Shimano XTR drivetrain (the pre-2003 XTR, not the new stuff). Sorta affordable on eBay, but the other reason for the change is that I couldn't get used to the grip shifters.

To each his own......

mtbr member

The Verdict

Okay, did my first ride with the new X.9 and X.9 trigger shifters. I think I need to dial it in a bit since it wouldn't hold the middle gear to well. Might be some cable stretch or something. I loved the thumb shifting on the right side. Very easy to work with, however the thumb shift for the left side (FDR) was problematic.

A number of times while bouncing around downhill or torquing up hill, my thumb lightly tapped the upshift, causing me to shift chain rings which threw out all my momentum. I stopped a couple of time to adjust it by moving it down the handle bars but then it messes up my brake configuration. It was frustrating.

I'm thinking about adding the grip shift for the FDR, just because I barely change rings. Otherwise I may have to switch back to Shimano, which really sucks because the SRAM X.9 was like butter. I'd have to get an XTR for compariable feeling which means $$$$.

In the meantime, I'm riding again tonight, if it keeps happening, I'm going back. Which means there will be a damn near new set of SRAM RDR and Triggers in the classified section.

mtbr member
    Work with it.

I just swithched from x.9 gripshifters to X.9 triggers this week (tried for months to make grips work for FR, but no way).

I do a lot of fast hard trail FR stuff - I get knocked around a lot, and had the same issue you described on my first ride w/ the X.9 triggers - kept knocking the ft d'er w/ my thumb. For the next ride I moved the shifters 1/4" in toward the center of the bike and experienced a 90% improvement! After another day of riding I am now free of mishifting . You'll get it if you try.

As stated above, I worked with my grip shifters for about 6 months before giving up. My ability to handle the bike w/o shifting improved immensly, only because I gave it time and attention. They'll go on my light trail bike.

mtbr member
    Well, went riding again. After my adjustment only one accidental shift with the FDR shifter. Like you said 90% improvement. Still needs some teaking. The right side is awesome. Thumb shifting is just incredible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I'm glad to hear your enjoying it now

I made the switch to Sram X.0 Twisters and rear and I love them. I don't have any regrets at all. They just made the switch from my 04 Santa Cruz Blur to my 05 Ellsworth Truth. I couldn't be happier. Enjoy the newfound problem free shifting you will experience with the Sram.