Thread: I broke it

mtbr member

Smile I broke it

Saturdays ride proved fatal for my shifter. I took a spill on the rocks - in doing so I damaging the housing to my shifter (left hand side). They are only the stock (Shimano ST-EF50 8spd) shifters that came on my GF Advance - so I am wondering would it be worth upgrading shifters if I can only spend $50? Or would that not be enough money to make any difference in quality?

Genius
    I'm sorry for your loss. If you have the $$ make the upgrade. This is the perfect opportunity.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Replacing broken parts is the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

Whether it's worth it to you depends on how happy you were with the originals, and what you expect and can afford with the upgrade.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Unfortunately to "upgrade" you would need to go to 9-speed since they don't make higher quality 8-speed shifters anymore (you can still get replacements similar to the quality you already have, or maybe just slightly better, but not really much of an upgrade). If you go to 9-speed you will need a new 9-speed cassette and 9-speed chain as well, and you're not going to get all that in higher quality for $50.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NashVis
    Saturdays ride proved fatal for my shifter. I took a spill on the rocks - in doing so I damaging the housing to my shifter (left hand side). They are only the stock (Shimano ST-EF50 8spd) shifters that came on my GF Advance - so I am wondering would it be worth upgrading shifters if I can only spend $50? Or would that not be enough money to make any difference in quality?
    Are these integrated brake/shifters?

Are you looking to go with triggers or gripshifters if you upgrade?

Former Bike Wrench
    Yes, two problems with the "upgrade" thing. First, those are integrated brake lever/shifters so you'll need to replace both and get new brake levers. Problem number two as mentioned, "upgrade" would be 9 speed which would require at bare minimum a new chain and cassette on top of the new shifters and brake levers.

I would just buy a replacement shifter/brake lever and save my pennies to upgrade to a new bike down the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If they are integrated brake lever/shifters and you really want to pinch pennies, you may be able to just cut the shifter pod off the brake lever (using a dremel tool or similar cutting/grinding tool), then you just need to buy the shifter. Though it really doesn't cost much for a never lever (or a new lever/shifter combo).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    If they are integrated brake lever/shifters and you really want to pinch pennies, you may be able to just cut the shifter pod off the brake lever (using a dremel tool or similar cutting/grinding tool), then you just need to buy the shifter. Though it really doesn't cost much for a never lever (or a new lever/shifter combo).
    Unlike the old rapid fire shifters that hung below the "integrated" brake lever, these EZ-Fire shifters are fully integrated onto the brake lever housing so that trick doesn't really work.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609276.pdf

bi-winning
    For a $50 budget, just aim for the most direct replacement.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Unlike the old rapid fire shifters that hung below the "integrated" brake lever, these EZ-Fire shifters are fully integrated onto the brake lever housing so that trick doesn't really work.
    My only point of reference on integrated shifter/brakes are some old STX and XT stuff I have from the early to mid 90s so I guess that trick don't work no more. I really hate the integrated stuff.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NashVis
    It would certainly be cheapest to just look for a replacement shifter/brake. The good news is that since it is the LEFT one, it is not 8 speed specific, so you will have some more options as you look around. In fact, I'll bet if you look for one from a 7 speed set it could be really cheap. The complete 7 speed set looks like it goes for under $30.

On the other hand, there are options that I think are worth looking at for under $50. If you have any interest in grip shifters, you can get a set of 8 speed SRAM Attack Grip Shifters and a set of Avid brake levers for under $50 shipped if you don't mind using ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVID-Speed-Dial-...item1c106968de

If you are OK with gripshifter (I actually prefer them), this would be a worthwhile upgrade, IMO, unless you can replace what you have for really cheap (like under $25).

mtbr member
    I disagree, slightly with some of the posters recommending a like replacement. If you could go for the Alivio Shifter pods, $20.39 per side here:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shifters.aspx
    and Avid FR5 leverset for $10.99
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ke+Levers.aspx
    then a bit for shipping. It should still cost less than $60 and you'll get RapidFire 2-way release, just like Deore 9-speed for your 8 speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    I disagree, slightly with some of the posters recommending a like replacement. If you could go for the Alivio Shifter pods, $20.39 per side here:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shifters.aspx
    and Avid FR5 leverset for $10.99
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ke+Levers.aspx
    then a bit for shipping. It should still cost less than $60 and you'll get RapidFire 2-way release, just like Deore 9-speed for your 8 speed.
    I agree completely with this post. This is a definite upgrade over the integrated levers you have now. I had the exact same set on my Cannondale and went this path before moving on to 9 speed. I noticed a definite improvement in shifting moving to the rapid fire Alivio system vs. the EZ fire shifting you have now. Seriously consider this advice if you can stretch 10 more bucks and prefer trigger shifting over the grip shift advice above. I may actually have my old integrated system around if you just want a direct replacement. You can have them for free plus shipping cost. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd get some Sram Attack lever shifters and spend $10-18 on some Avid levers. The shifters will be much better than what you're used to, and cheaper than Shimano. If you shop around you can probably get this for $50-$60.

In my opinion, the Shimano shifters are cruddy until you get to the LX level.

the giant.
    i think some of you guys read this wrong. he said left hand side shifter. thats the front derailleur...

~Disc~Golf~
    you don't need to spend alot for good quality...
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...fters-2009.htm
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by gbosbiker
    i think some of you guys read this wrong. he said left hand side shifter. thats the front derailleur...
    1x8 time

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gbosbiker
    but he wanted to "upgrade" both shifters.