The Hutch

I answered two common Questions about 10 spd and XTR

I have been searching and searching but never really found a solid answer.
    I wanted to use my 9spd XTR M970 crank arms with a 10spd set up.
    I also wanted to buy different chain rings for my XTR crank. 24t, 36t
    Some said I can only use XTR chain rings others said I could any the same bolt pattern
    Some Said 9 spd crank wouldn't work with 10 spd chain. Other said it will.
    So
    I decided to try.

Stuff I had:
    xt 9 spd front D
    X9 front shifter
    E13 Bash guard

stuff I ordered from 9 spd:
    XTR inner ring 24t
    SLX middle ring 36t
    truvativ longer chain ring bolts (for use with my e13 bash)

Stuff I ordered for 10spd:
    XT 11-36 Cassette
    XT 10 spd chain
    SLX 10 spd rear D
    SLX 10 spd rear shifter

Outcome:
    this home made 2x10 works perfectly on My RIP-9 really shifts well the XTR crank arms are stiff and the slx middle ring works perfect. The Best part of it all is If you have a 9spd set up and are thinking about going 10 spd, you don't have to buy a 10 spd crank, or if you have a XTR crank and need new chain rings you don't have to use XTR only.
    Happy Riding
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I answered two common Questions about 10 spd and XTR-new-bike.jpg  

Fat-tired Roadie
    Shimano has gone back and forth about the bolt pattern on the XTR crank - it's sometimes been weird.

Buyer beware.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'm new to a lot of this stuff. What on a crank would dictate how many gears you could run on the back wheel?

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life
    I'm new to a lot of this stuff. What on a crank would dictate how many gears you could run on the back wheel?
    Shimano claimed only 10spd specific chain rings would work on their 10spd chain. They said because the chain spacing was smaller to accommodate for the dyna sys. So the new Dyna sys cranks have narrower chain rings.

AZ
    banned
    I have been using 10 spd chains on 9 spd chain rings for some time , it has worked well .

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Zinn confirmed, http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...-by-2x10_11382 . 9 speed crank, front mech and shifter on a 10 speed set.

Rider and Wrench
    I just did a similar change over 11-36 XT rear Cassette, XTR rear Der, Shifters and chain- which is mated to my 9spd xtr 970 crankset and direct mount xtr 970 FD. I only have a few rides on it but it works quite well- no issues shifting front or rear.

It was pointed out in the sticky on compatibility but it is best to match the front der. with the crankset-

I am still working out what gearing I want, so far I have run a 22T and a 24T granny with a 32T/44T as a 3X set up. I found a shimano 26T granny and am getting ready to try it as a a 26T/36T- In this case I will probably remove the 44T as well and give the 2X a try-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Shimano has gone back and forth about the bolt pattern on the XTR crank - it's sometimes been weird.

Buyer beware.

XTR cranks and compatibility:

XTR 950, 951, 952 (and XT 739's I think) cranks had a direct mount spider which came in a number of combos some with a 5 bolt spider 112 bcd, others with the big ring acting as the spider - as well as a four bolt spider set up for downhill- lots of aftermarket spiders out there now in 5 bolt 110, 112 and four bolt 104 bcd- or you can get direct mount single rings with no spider.

XTR 960 was the really silly one with only the granny ring being "normal" at 64bcd an the others at 102 bcd... basically only XTR or Blackspire make rings to fit the middle and big- This is the one that is really "weird"

XTR 970 like rob1208lv's in this thread are simply 104/64bcd which is the most popular 3 ring std right now truvative, race face, FSA etc... all make the same bcd so very easy to find rings-

The recent advent of 2X cranksets has added more to the mix!
    I Just wish I could ride more!