mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Hybrid X0 - XX1 drivetrain?!

Hey all, I have a "what if" scenario for you. Let me preface it with this: I loved and hated 3x9. Granted I think it was because of my sporadic opportunities to ride, and I would rely ony granny gear when my legs were prematurely juiced. I have since tried 2x10 (basically the same complexity and weight), and now 1 x 10 (super easy to maintain, half a pound off from shed derailler, shifter, and gears.). My problem is on fairly steep sustained climbs, I need a little extra oomph because I'm simply out of shape, and no,with a sub 2 year old, full time jobs, and general lack of time, I'm not going to just snap my fingers and fix this. I don't want to gear the front any lower (32 tooth at the moment) because of top end speed...

Finally, hears my question. Has anyone tried, or considered running the new XX1? What if it still isn't enough to have 11 gears on the back...could you run an X0 2 gear front and XX1 rear?! I think it might even be better than a 2 or 3 x 10 setup! Ha! A 2x11 setup...who knows?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    XX1 won't work with 2x. The RD is a horizontal parallelogram. It doesn't move vertically, just horizontal, so there is no give if you want to move up a cog in the front etc.

Here is a detailed explanation of how it works and why it won't work with 2x :

Chris Hilton talks about the Sram XX1 // Mountain Biking Videos on MPORA

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's good (and bad) to know...I just know I was left wanting a little on the 2x10 setup on the low end...I guess they're making smaller small rings for those than the 28t now?