mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hub rebuild question

I'd like to rebuild my XT hub, but I decided to practice on a Deore hub on a wheel I don't use anymore. After reading the Park Tools site for some instruction, I got to work, but I've found something that has me scratching my head:

I removed the axle, then removed the bearings (9 on each side). But then, I discovered that there were more bearings deep in the shell of the hub. At first I figured that maybe there's another bearing cup in there to support the axle, but there were only 5 BB's...not enough to go around the shell. So, I'm left with two possibilities. 1) I'm in hopelessly over my head, or 2) the mech. at the bike shop that last serviced this hub dropped some BB's down in the shell while trying to place them into the real bearing cups, and was too lazy to fish them out. Ideas?

Also, couple of side questions: Is Park Polylube 1000 good for hubs, and what should I use to degrease the hub while the freehub is still attached (I don't think I have to tools to remove the freehub, and I don't want to accidently decrease the internals of the freehub).

mtbr member
    I think you got it: the mechanic dropped the bearfings inside the hub and didn't get them out.

I just use kerosene to degrease the hub. If you are worried about the freehub just put some on a rag and use this where needed.

The freehub is easy to get out if you have a 10mm allen wrench: there is a hollw bolt in the middle of the freehub that loosens in the normal direction. But holding the hub while you loosen the bolt is difficult if it isn't spoked to a rim. In this case I wrap the hub in an old tube and put it in a vise.

Wombat