bi-winning

New question here. Hub Adjustment and Freehub Play.

Recently i completely rebuilt my Shimano Deore hubs. New cones, bearings, and freehub. Went for two light rides and it seemed ok. However, today i did a short race, and during the final sprint, the rear of my bike felt all noodly. After i crossed the line, i checked my rear wheel, and felt a lot of play in my hub. I thought, ok, so i did not tighten it enough. I got home, tightened the cones, and re-mounted the wheel. To my dismay, i still felt a knocking when i pulled the wheel back and forth. Not cool. I even tried overtightening the cones, but the knocking was still there. The problem is obviously the freehub. It is definitely not worn, it is brand new. The only thing i have left to try is to check the freehub fixing bolt, which i am pretty sure should be tight.

Yes, i did a search, and i understand that shimano freehubs usually have some play, but it seems a little excessive. I don't like how it allows the whole wheel to move slightly. The freehub i replaced allowed the cassette to wobble more, but it did not seem to effect the adjustment of the hub.

How can i get my wheel to stop wobbling/knocking. Is the answer simply that "Shimano sux" or is there something i can try/check?

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I finally ended up with shimano hubs suck and went to Mavic Crossmax

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I finally ended up with shimano hubs suck and went to Mavic Crossmax
    Ya, i would love to do that, but i need $$$ to pay for the university education thing.
    Last edited by rkj__; 07-26-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

bi-winning
    Oops, i actually meant to put this under the wheels and tires section. If a mod could move it, i think that would be appropriate. If not, no big deal.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    First dial in bearing cones to the desired tightness. Then lock the locknut against the bearing cone while holding the bearing cone in one position so the hub isn't tightened.

The idea is to get the two nuts to be as firm as possible together so they dont shake loose over time.

g'luck