addict

Howitzer BB compatibility

I have a Transition ToP with a 68mm American BB shell that needs a new crankset. I want to have compatibility with my mtn bikes, so I am using a FMF american to Euro adapter that adds approximately 8mm to the shell. Looking at replacing my old, heavy, beat, and broken FSA X-drive crankset with a Hussefelt crank with howitzer BB. Would there be any issues using a 73mm Howitzer BB without the single drive side spacer (2.5mm I think?) with this setup? Thanks in advace for tackling this question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82
    I have a Transition ToP with a 68mm American BB shell that needs a new crankset. I want to have compatibility with my mtn bikes, so I am using a FMF american to Euro adapter that adds approximately 8mm to the shell. Looking at replacing my old, heavy, beat, and broken FSA X-drive crankset with a Hussefelt crank with howitzer BB. Would there be any issues using a 73mm Howitzer BB without the single drive side spacer (2.5mm I think?) with this setup? Thanks in advace for tackling this question.
    Based on what you said I think mounting it up with no spacers would be about right.

However, if it is converting American to Euro, it would be dumb to convert to an odd ball width. It's likely converting it to 73mm. You should measure to be sure.

addict
    The shell width with adapter comes to 77mm. I figure by leaving off the spacer, I will be within 1.5mm of a perfect fit. I'm not familiar with the Howitzer BB, looks like the axle may have a little play between the bearings with this setup, or am I way off track?

After thinking about it for a while, I think I should use an 83mm BB with extra spacers. I am not too concerned about chainline, it is a single speed, can be adjusted with rear cog spacers.

The adapter design seems like it was not well thought out.
    Last edited by powderhound82; 04-02-2009 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just installed a howitzer BB and hussefelt cranks on my 68mm shell plus I have a 1-2 mm BB mounted chain guide plate. I used no bearing cap spacers on either side and there is no play in the spindle unless you use a lot of spacers then you will have play.The spindles are long, somewhere in the 150mm length, so with no spacers on a 68mm shell there is lots of room for your cranks to ride on.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbox
    I just installed a howitzer BB and hussefelt cranks on my 68mm shell plus I have a 1-2 mm BB mounted chain guide plate. I used no bearing cap spacers on either side and there is no play in the spindle unless you use a lot of spacers then you will have play.The spindles are long, somewhere in the 150mm length, so with no spacers on a 68mm shell there is lots of room for your cranks to ride on.
    Problem is, with the adapter the shell effective width is 77mm (WTF FMF?). If I go with a 73mm BB, even without any spacers, I think I will run into the same problem that you described in another thread (cranks riding on bearing instead of bottoming out on splines). Does your spindle have machined lips that the inner bearing race rides on? It looks like there are on the truvativ tech manual.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah the spindle has a lip on each side that stops it from coming out of the bearings on each side.

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbox
    yeah the spindle has a lip on each side that stops it from coming out of the bearings on each side.
    Thanks, I think I will go with the 83mm