mtbr member
    Jul 2004

How would you pull this out?

Hi,

Can you suggest some ways to pull this metal bushing (gray parts) out of the chain stay pivot bearing housing? They are inserted tight, and won't come out with pliers. No gaps to insert a screw driver without trashing hte seal... Inside, both bushings are actually contacting each others surface, that I can't tap it out from the inside. At this point, I'm lost.

Thanks in advance!

Meh.
    Can you take a picture to help elaborate on your drawings?

It's the axle
    A deep socket, or tube; A long threaded bolt; A washer that is smaller than the housing, but bigger diameter than the bushings. The washer goes on the outside of one end of the bearings. The tube goes on the other end. Then screw the nut onto the tube or socket end and start turning it until both of the bushings are forced to slide out of the housing and into the tube/socket.

Replacing them is pretty much the same routine except the screw presses the bearings into the bike.

There isn't really any other way. There are a lot of alternative configurations. Instead of a plain washer, a special piece that slides into the bearing, so it stays centered and doesn't score the bearing housing.

I can possibly elaborate if needed. But right now there is a 24 pound CAT on my lap, and I'm way too lazy. Haha.

OK. Here we go. Sort of...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gregg K; 03-27-2007 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oops, I overrode the picture. Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I'll take a picture tonight. Now that I think about it, there is one inaccurate speculation in my drawing: the bearing must be sitting on a machined crease in the shell, in order to maintain the pure 90 degree perpendicular positioning of the bearings to the bushing and the shell. So itís got to be like the above colored drawings. The problem is that the bushing is T shareped, that it cannot get pushed inward toward the bearings in order to be pulled out. The inner surface is machined cleanly, that there is nowhere to "grab." This is Rocky Mountain 05 Slayer, so I painted blue ;-) I want to believe RM thought it through and must have a way to remove this thing without distroying the bearings...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Gut feel says it was pushed in assembled with a press.

Betcha you just push the whole thing out with a press.

It's the axle
    It could be that those are lips on the outsides of the bushings. If so, you are pretty limited to what you can do to get them out. Ordinarily they try to avoid designing things that way. There isn't a way, as I see from the drawing, to get these out without some destructive act.

Vice grips (yuck, not good thoughts there); Easyout (also not good thoughts).

I doubt it's going to be that horrible. I've worked on just about everything imaginable. Rarely do you run into blind press fits.

Once upon a time...I inadvertently punched a pin into a blind hole while rebuilding a Datsun 510 five speed tranny. Oops. Off I went to the EDM machine. Had to blast it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks guys. I left a message with the RM rep. Hope he has a good idea!

...idios...
    Do you have a photo? Check out this thread for overhauling the pivot bearings on Specialized FSR's, it may have something that you find useful.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I have two ideas....

1) If the insider of the bushing is threaded... thread in bolt and tap out from other side. Probably too easy.

2) Find/make a widget that will expand inside the bushing... similar to an expanding wedge of a quill stem. Insert, expand, tap out from other side.