mtbr member

How would you address this cable routing issue?

The bike is a 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight. The last housing stop on the chainstay is right above the dropout. The bike came with a Deore XT derailleur which had a "rear entry" for the cable housing so the routing was to make the traditional loop. With this SRAM X-9, however, the housing enters from the front, so it has to twist down and forward and then back into the derailleur, as shown. It is not terrible but but I feel it binds a little, probably mainly at the housing end right before entering the stop on the derailler. I have thought of these options:

- Live with it. Not that terrible
    - Add a "clamp on" cable stop forward of the current one, so the housing can have a straight shot to the deraileur.
    - Bypass the cable stop on the front of the swingarm, and run continuous housing from the downtube, zip tied to the chain stay and into the derailleur (see pictures).
    - Glue on Cable stop - Possible?
    - Rivet on Cable stop - is it safe to drill holes there?
    - Go back to old derailleur and admit defeat?
    - Some kind of rollamajig or noodle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130722_182400.jpg  

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130722_182431.jpg  

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130722_182349.jpg  

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130722_182521.jpg  

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130722_182500.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd go with the full housing run and zip ties to the chainstay...and wrap the Lizard Skin thing over the housing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    I'd go with the full housing run and zip ties to the chainstay...and wrap the Lizard Skin thing over the housing.
    This.

mtbr member
    I guess I have hesitated to run the full housing is because the hole in the swingarm cable stop is a nice looking and elegant routing. I also wondered if suspension compression would effect the shifting, but it probably wouldn't.

I think the cleanest solution would be to have a new cable stop more forward, but don't know of any nice clamp on type that would fit, and don't know if other attachment methods are feasible. I'm not getting anything welded on. Its not that important.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Plays with tools
    If you want to keep the stock cable routing I think Nokon housing is your only good option. That stuff doesn't seem to mind tight bends as much as a more traditional housing. What's going on now is completely unacceptable though.

The cable stop that Thomilla posted might not be a bad idea but the ferrule is going to wiggle around in that stop and your shifting will suffer as tension increases.

mtbr member
    Can you just open up the swing arm cable stop hole a little (drill it out) so you can run full length housing through it, then run it along the c-stay and into the front of the derailleur? My Turner 5-spot had a full housing run going through a hole in the rear triangle, and I thought it was a pretty nice element.

I can't imagine making that hole that much larger is going to cause structural issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks for everyone's input! I came up with a "none of the above" solution today that seems to be working.

I noticed the housing that threads through the hole in the swingarm doesn't really have a "stop", it just butts against the wall of the swingarm, so why can't a piece of housing on the other side of the wall do the same?

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130728_115758.jpg

I figured that some kind of receiver would help stabilize the housing. I thought of using a nut, but I found these conical rubber plumbing washers in my stuff. The hole in the washer is about the perfect size to receive the housing.

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130728_120202.jpg

I glued the rubber washer over the hole in the swingarm with Shoe Goo

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130728_121110.jpg

Routing is much straighter and cleaner. The shifting is perfect. Noticably smoother.

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130728_130721.jpg

Best thing about this solution is that it didn't cost me anything

How would you address this cable routing issue?-img_20130728_132424.jpg

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    that works
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/