mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How tricky is XTR rear derailleur rebuild

Howdy, have two 950 xtr long cage rear derailleurs. Shop owner/mechanic says they need rebuilds and that Shimano sells the springs. Questions....

1. What other parts are needed? I imagine I should do the pulleys but is there anything else? Are there complete rebuild kits
      How tough of a job is this? I love my shop, but since he's also the owner he has to divide his time. I would give him an A for effort B for ability. I know he's never done this job before. Is this a supertricky job?

Maybe I'l just have him do one. I can get a new XT rear der. at a decent price. Anybody who has used both would like to compare?

TIA and have a great day..

jv

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    Howdy, have two 950 xtr long cage rear derailleurs. Shop owner/mechanic says they need rebuilds and that Shimano sells the springs. Questions....

1. What other parts are needed? I imagine I should do the pulleys but is there anything else? Are there complete rebuild kits
      How tough of a job is this? I love my shop, but since he's also the owner he has to divide his time. I would give him an A for effort B for ability. I know he's never done this job before. Is this a supertricky job?

Maybe I'l just have him do one. I can get a new XT rear der. at a decent price. Anybody who has used both would like to compare?

TIA and have a great day..

jv
    Check the pivots. If they are sloppy, it is not worth fixing the old RDs. Just will not shift as well as new.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You can order the spring kitc/w new pivot bolt and puleys from Jenson's

Took me about half an hour to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    uhh shiggy, without sounding like a dork, what do you mean by pivots?

uhh shiggy, without sounding like a dork, what do you mean by pivots?
    The places where the part with "XTR" on it connects to the other parts.

You are going to have to install the RD, shift to a middle cog and move the bottom of the cage from side to side. The more slop, the worse the shifting.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The only "rebuild" I would do with that derailleur is replacing a bent pulley cage. Otherwise, run it until it dies then get another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Shiggy you rule. I hear you Pigsah. But for the bucks I would be looking at an XT.....

ups and downs
    Current XT is not much of a downgrade on the 950 series XTR. The RD-771 GS is pretty light, maybe 30gms heavier than the 950 XTR. And the XT 772 GS Shadow would give you a lower profile RD.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Thanks Shiggy you rule. I hear you Pigsah. But for the bucks I would be looking at an XT.....
    I have never thought there was enough difference between XT and XTR to justify the price gap. I every way except weight, even SLX works as well.
    mtbtires.com