mtbr member

How to remove cable from grip shifters?

I'm refurbishing a friend's many-year-old Bianchi Avenue. It's my first time ever working with grip shifters. I can't for the life of me get the existing cable out. How do I remove it? There's a slot on the shifters where I can see the derailer cable head, but the design seems to be purposely made so as not to allow me to push the cable back out again.

The grip shifters I'm working on are labeled "Grip Shift tm" and "MRX100-71". It's not clear to me who the manufacturer is.

Any tips are much appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Look for a small plastic or rubber cap on the edge of the cylindrical part of the shifter (the part that is marked with notches/numbers ).

The cap conceals the entry point of the gear cable. Twist the shifter to position 1 and push the cable from the other side until you see the barrel head of the cable. Then, just pull it out.

mtbr member
    Probably SRAM MRX gripshifters... check here for the manuals.

mtbr member
    Thanks two-one. Those manuals were just what the doctor ordered. I hadn't realized that "Grip Shift" is a Sram trademark.

I'm pretty sure my friend's shifters pre-date those manuals, but the instructions from "MRX Classic" manual did work for me.

The inside is amazingly simple. There's a spring, and that's it. I was expecting, well, more.

Tomorrow I'll try threading in the new cable. I'll probably put in a bit more grease too. There isn't much left on the springs. This is probably the first time in over a decade, probably since the bike was put together, that the cables have been replaced.