mtbr member

how to remove big ring on crankset?

i currently have a POS OEM truvativ xFlow crank with Proprietary mounts, so i cant get a bashguard, and the 3rd ring is now bashed so badly that on trails the chain bounces down and catches on the bent teeth causing the chain to grind up my paintjob

i need to remove the 3rd ring, but whenever i try to unscrew the mounts, the back of the bolts start turning too, and i cant get a grip on them since they look and rivets and are flat, any suggestions on removing it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You may need to go out and buy a tool like this..
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=26&item=CNW-1

Not to derail this thread but I have a quick question,

on a standard 22/32/44 crankset, can you change the middle ring on a bike without removing the right hand crank arm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    . . . .on a standard 22/32/44 crankset, can you change the middle ring on a bike without removing the right hand crank arm?
    Not in my experience. . . . . .

mtbr member
    yeah, i dont think you can either

thanks for that link, its probably gonna help alot

MTB B'dos
    Well the tool is the easiest method "theoretically", but there's also several other ways. You could use a set of bird beak pliers, grind a large flat bit screw driver to fit. The tool isn't expensive though so you'd probably want to go that route if you're not to into making up tools. Personally bought the tool but don't find it thqat much easier than using the pliers.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    You may need to go out and buy a tool like this..
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=26&item=CNW-1

Not to derail this thread but I have a quick question,

on a standard 22/32/44 crankset, can you change the middle ring on a bike without removing the right hand crank arm?
    I just replaced the 32T 104mm middle ring on a LX crankset without removing the crank arm. It was a pain at first, but once I figured out how to do it, not so bad. It's possible IMO, but it's not easy. Easier than removing (er...reinstalling) the crank arm though IMO.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just a FYI, I replaced my middle front ring today and did NOT need to remove the crank arms and was easy. The trick is you need to remove all 3 rings to do so however.

The devil is an angel too
    The back of the bols should have two small slots (kinda like the head of a flat screw) you can either get the tool to hold them (which would cost you something like five bucks) or try using a flat screwdriver.

And you can remove the middle ring without removing the arms. Or at least you should be able to...
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Just curious,how come you cant put a bashguard on the Truvativ X?Is it because of having a big ring (they do make bashguards for big rings,but it's kinda self-defeating 'cuz of clearance issues), or do you mean that even after removing the big ring you wouldn't be able to replace it with a standard bashguard?I'll soon be getting a bike with the same crankset,and if I can't put a bashguard on it,that baby is goin bye-bye ASAMFP.