Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

how to pull xt crank arm ?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Bikinfoolferlife 
#1 ·
im guessing i need special tools to pull the xt crank arm off so i can get the small sprocket off ???? :madman:

#2 ·
Which kind? If it is the newer style, then remove the left side center cap (on left side crank). It shouldn't be too tight. You might use a large set of pliers and a rag if you don't have the special "socket" that fits inside the piece.

Then, using a 5 mm allen wrench, loosen the two pinch bolts. Pull left side crank off and then the right side crank will put out with the axle as one assembly.

If you're talking older stuff, they you will need a crank puller.

#6 ·
lol well actually they build that crank smart ...... the way its built you can just use the allen in the middle and push it right off (its a got a cap that screws in over top of the allen bolt) screw it off, do what ya need to do and use the allen to pul it back on the BB..... simple as he!!...... no tools needed but a allen socket, breaker bar (leverage) :thumbsup:
all done, not sure the 44t is gonna cut it just yet... did my big ride today and it works well but i think a 40t might work a little better..... plus i can use a bash guard w/ it then.... the back guard on it now is to small... :(

#7 ·
qkenuf4u said:
lol well actually they build that crank smart ...... the way its built you can just use the allen in the middle and push it right off (its a got a cap that screws in over top of the allen bolt) screw it off, do what ya need to do and use the allen to pul it back on the BB..... simple as he!!...... no tools needed but a allen socket, breaker bar (leverage) :thumbsup:
all done, not sure the 44t is gonna cut it just yet... did my big ride today and it works well but i think a 40t might work a little better..... plus i can use a bash guard w/ it then.... the back guard on it now is to small... :(
That's not really the crank built that way, it just has self-extracting crank bolts.

#9 ·
qkenuf4u said:
uhm ya so that would be a crank that was built with a little common sense..... :rolleyes: .........and thats a GOOD THING :D :thumbsup:
My point was that the crank could have just regular crank bolts, many XT cranks did not come with them (and they're easily purchased aftermarket), but hard to say what you've got since you only say XT rather than the specific model of XT crank...

#10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
My point was that the crank could have just regular crank bolts, many XT cranks did not come with them (and they're easily purchased aftermarket), but hard to say what you've got since you only say XT rather than the specific model of XT crank...
ahhh that i did NOT know... alll i know is its the smart way to do things and i hate WORKING HARDER INSTEAD OF SMARTER.... this is a very smart way of doing things to me as a motorcycle tech..:thumbsup:

#11 ·
qkenuf4u said:
ahhh that i did NOT know... alll i know is its the smart way to do things and i hate WORKING HARDER INSTEAD OF SMARTER.... this is a very smart way of doing things to me as a motorcycle tech..:thumbsup:
In that they should all have had them after a while (can't imagine the cost being much different at the OEM level), I agree!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.