Team Sanchez

How to open Sram Powerlink

Can someone point me to the old thread that shows how to do this? I'm having a very tough time removing my chain. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had a few powerlinks that were tight but they really do come apart.

I push the inner links together while wiggling the chain at that point, side to side. Keep an eye on the slot the powerlink pin heads travel through and you'll know when it can come apart or it will come apart at that point anyways.

Perhaps putting the drive train in small/small will take more of the rear derailleur tension off the chain as well.

glenk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Can someone point me to the old thread that shows how to do this? I'm having a very tough time removing my chain. Thanks in advance!
    Sometimes it's easy and other times its hard. First thing to do is clean the link so that no gunk will prevent the pin from sliding to the bigger hole. Lazy me usually skips the cleaning part and use pliers, pressing from opposite corners of the link.

Chrome Toaster
    Press the plates together and push both pins inwards until it unlocks. Lube the link and clean it if possible. Crud will make it extremely difficult to remove. With enough use powerlinks can deform to the point it is no longer possible to seperate them and you'll just need to use a chaintool to break the chain.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    this link helped me:

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/SRAM/chains2.htm

hope it helps you too!

College
    Jun 2004
    Just do this it works everytime
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride
    Park makes masterlink pliers now. This was one of my favorite tools obtained this year. If you take your chain off more often than once every blue moon, check this out:
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Park makes masterlink pliers now. This was one of my favorite tools obtained this year. If you take your chain off more often than once every blue moon, check this out:
    that's really unnecessary, any pliers would work fine. just need to position it correctly to squeeze.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    that's really unnecessary, any pliers would work fine. just need to position it correctly to squeeze.
    yeah but nothing is quite asw classy as having the perfect tool for the job Granted there is something silly about making a tool for a device who's very design purpose is to not need any tools.

Team Sanchez
    Thanks for the replys guys. Before i was able to read the advice in this thread, I was able to get it apart. I just pinched the plates together, and squeezed, and it opened right up. Genius.