7am Backcountry ;- )

How often do you thoroughly clean you drivechain?

Been asked before but specifically I want to know how often you clean the teeth on your front and rear cogs? Gunk seems to build up very fast and it adds to the cleaning time if I do these after every ride. So in terms of longevity of chain and parts vs time spent cleaning what do you find works best?

I find a brush and degreaser method does nothing to remove the welded on gunk and I need to remove the rear wheel and use a rag between the gaps then on the front chainring go over each tooth with a rag and cleaner.

Trying to improve my 45 minute bike cleaning time
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

...idios...
    Sounds as though you need to find a chain lube that is better suited to your riding environment. The 'wetter' the chain (and sprockets), the more crap you'll pick up and so the more crap it'll compact into sprockets. Although I've used lubes that give me more miles per application, none have ran as cleanly as Purple Extreme. It still gives great mileage in both wet and dry conditions, but it's possible to wipe away the majority of the residual lube that coats the exterior of the chain. Lube is only required inside the bearings. Alternating between two chains means you can let lube sink in and dry for a while (days, even) after you've applied it, and gives you the option of having a clean chain to throw on if needs be.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

It depends on conditions...

in sloppy wet conditions I clean the drive train after every ride. If it's dry I'll go about once a week with after every ride inspections.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

One Gear
    You might want to try a lighter oil as mentioned. There are a lot of dry lubes and light oils designed for dry conditions. They don't attract as much dirt and are easier to clean as needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depends on conditions wet I give it all a good clean and lube , dry I soak a cloth in oil and run it around the chain in my hand,leaving a thin film.
    wet lube if its wet and dry lube..............
    once a month take wheel and chain off and clean untill its mint.
    lots of wet lube in Wales :-)

home slice chili sauce
    May 2005
    I agree with the posters above, it depends on riding conditions and frequency. Many lubes will encourage the build up of gunk no matter what it says on the bottle. But, IME I notice that setting up the lube properly seems to be the biggest factor. I always wipe off excess lube after application and wipe down and reapply if it is too dark as some lubes help pull out dirt and grime from the chain. I allow the lube to set in, usually at least 12hrs (depending on type of lube) before riding. Depending on conditions you can usually pull it off by wiping down your chain and other components with a small amount of lube after each ride. This will help prevent accumulation of sludge while removing some of the grime from previous ride.