Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

how often do u replace your drivetrain components?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
how often do you replace your drivetrain components:
Chain
Rear Cassette
Front Chain Rings
Rear or Front Derailleurs
Cables

do you wait for symtoms to appear or do you have a schedule?

does anyone replace the entire drivetrain at the same time?

#2 ·
I replace the chain when worn. Chainrings as needed (middle most often). Cassettes when a cog is worn or a ring/tooth bent beyond straightening (too bad the cogs aren't replaceable for the ones I use most, otherwise I'd be fine with the two or three most-used or often damaged cogs being replaceable, but they're usually the ones on the spider). I can't think of a time I've worn out a front derailleur, nor wrecked one. The rear derailleur I've bashed on a rock or twisted with a stick, causing replacement on occasion, but can't think of one I've worn out. Cables and housings I replace when needed (housings sooner than cables unless they're frayed). The schedule is defined by need.

Replacing a whole drivetrain at once? Never. Can't imagine why, either.

#3 ·
Chain, every 3 to 6 months, depending on how often I seem to be riding at the time. If I am not doing this, then I'd be replacing way more drivetrain components because a work chain will kill off your other parts (cassette, rings) very fast. I get more than a year out of shimano cassettes and rings, actually close to 1.5 years, but as I said, I'm pretty religious about changing the chain, and that seems to make a huge difference, as I tend to torque chains a lot.

I replace the other stuff, cogs and rings, when they are worn.

#4 ·
9sp
Chain about every 900mi
rear cassette about every 2200 - 2800 mi
middle ring about every 1500 mi, other 2 about 2200 - 2800 mi (like to replace with cassette)
derailleurs only when they break
cables only when they break or when the shifting action really starts to bother me

I use a chain checker on the chain, look for wear on the chainrings, chain slips off cassette when its worn.

#5 ·
I have never replaced the front derailleur (so far), and only had one rear (an LX) go on me: slop in the pivots and bushes for the jockey wheels wore out. So when I replaced all the other components it didn't shift smoothly.

I run the other bits into the ground (usually about 3,000 miles) and then replace the chain, cassette and 3 rings all at once. I usually buy a sub-deore crankset for around $35 and then take the rings (all steel) for my LX cranks.

I intended to replace the chain regularly, but found that my chain (PC-69) had stretched to the point where it needed to be replaced after 600 miles and decided it was better economy to ride the whole lot into the ground.

Wombat

#6 ·
and when you think you´re done...

....you find the derailleur pulley is worn.
Left, a still good xt760 pulley.Right, a worn xtr960 . It really wears down! See the diferent diameter and filed teeth. Not sure how important is performance- wise(sure not much for the tension pulley at least) but really turns drivetrain noisy...chain won´t match with the teeth anymore.
I could skip spending the money as the xt fit nice in place of the xtr (Bottom pic)

Attachments

#9 ·
1yellowbrick said:
Get yourself a chain checker, replace when stretched. Keep your chain and drivetrain clean. Check out "Purple Extreme" chainlube (google search). Your DT will thank you for it and last at least twice as long.
All you need is a 12" ruler to check for chain stretch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.