Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Preemptive Revenger
    Reputation: rapwithtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    868

    How to (not) prepare new chains before use

    Hi All -

    I recently emailed SRAM about how to lube a new chain before use, and here is the response I got back:

    ---

    It's a common misconception that the factory lube on our chains is
    a packing wax. This is not true. The factory lube is an expensive
    German lubricant called Gleitmo. It is specifically designed to be used with
    SRAM chains. It is truly incredible lubricant that will resist picking
    up sediment or debris and will greatly extend the life of your chain if
    left well enough alone. This lube is also used internally in the chain
    and lubricates the rollers and bushings which is why we never recommend
    soaking a chain in a degreaser. Once the lube is dissolved from the
    rollers nothing will replace it and it will lead to premature bushing
    wear. So, don't take it off, just ride your chain out of the packaging
    as is and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you want to clean
    your chain, simply use a citrus degreaser and a rag, then reapply some
    lube. Hope this helps. Cheers.

    ---

    This is good news! But I also find it a little ironic since the reason I like SRAM chains so much is because the power link makes it easy to take them off to soak in degreaser...
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    Interesting...I always degrease my SRAM's out of the package as they seem to collect a lot of dirt/dust on the chain otherwise...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    167
    Whoever sent you that email is smoking crack.

    I could lube my chain with maple syrup and pick up less crud, mud, and dirt than I would using a chain with the 'right out of the box' lube that they or Shimano use.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,191

    That's hard to believe

    I don't doubt that you got that from SRAM. My experience with stock chain grease, however, seems to prove otherwise. I think pine tree sap is less sticky than stock chain grease. Just one ride in dust and sand and that baby sounds crunchy when you flex the chain side to side.

    What I always do is hang the chain straight down and soak part of a rag with undiluted degreaser and just wipe it down repeatedly until the outside of the chain no longer feels sticky. That keeps the outside from getting all sticky, but keeps the stock grease on the inside of the rollers. I put the chain on, make sure the degreaser is dry, then lube it a bit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    i always degrease a new chain before use. that grease sticks on the pulleys,cassette and rings and is a real mess to remove.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    i forgot, its true about premature bushing wear, before the first use i use degrease to take as much grease as possible from the new chain, but i do it without puting the chain direct inside the solvent, i do it just with a rag. only when i clean my bike from a trail ride or wet weather road ride i take the chain off the bike and put it in a spare "botle" with some solvent like finish line citrus.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

  7. #7
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    For all the crap that new lube attracts, I have to say that the chain really never seems to shift as beatifully as those first days (with or without the crud) before you scrub the chain to clean it. The factory lube attracts everything even remotely close to it but damn does it lube great.

  8. #8
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,198

    Sram chains have always been that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Hi All -

    I recently emailed SRAM about how to lube a new chain before use, and here is the response I got back:

    ---

    It's a common misconception that the factory lube on our chains is
    a packing wax. This is not true. The factory lube is an expensive
    German lubricant called Gleitmo. It is specifically designed to be used with
    SRAM chains. It is truly incredible lubricant that will resist picking
    up sediment or debris and will greatly extend the life of your chain if
    left well enough alone. This lube is also used internally in the chain
    and lubricates the rollers and bushings which is why we never recommend
    soaking a chain in a degreaser. Once the lube is dissolved from the
    rollers nothing will replace it and it will lead to premature bushing
    wear. So, don't take it off, just ride your chain out of the packaging
    as is and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you want to clean
    your chain, simply use a citrus degreaser and a rag, then reapply some
    lube. Hope this helps. Cheers.

    ---

    This is good news! But I also find it a little ironic since the reason I like SRAM chains so much is because the power link makes it easy to take them off to soak in degreaser...
    \
    I have heard that from plenty of reliable sources for as long as I have been using Sram chains, which is about six years. However, Shimano chains do not come packed in lube and do need to be degreased and cleaned before use.

    Brian

  9. #9
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,604
    That's nothing new for many of us. We were told that years ago by their tech rep. Wouldn't you think they know -

    a) What lube they use.
    b) What's best for their chains.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  10. #10
    Gravity Rides Everything
    Reputation: endurowanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    the whole thing about not submerging your chain in degreaser seems like bunk to me. The lube is inevitably going to come out of the chain, and dust is going to infiltrate it. I get mine as clean as possible every 3-4 rides, and lube it thorougly before every ride (and wipe off the excess)

  11. #11
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629
    Yup. Nothing new here.
    I was told that by SRAM back in '01 & have followed their advice ever since with excellent results.

    DO NOT compare the grease on SRAM & Shimano chains. The SRAM's is a high quality lubricant. Shimano's is a dirt attracting mess and should be removed prior to use.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Yup. Nothing new here.
    I was told that by SRAM back in '01 & have followed their advice ever since with excellent results.
    DO NOT compare the grease on SRAM & Shimano chains. The SRAM's is a high quality lubricant. Shimano's is a dirt attracting mess and should be removed prior to use.
    What *I* do with my new SRAM chains pre-lubed in GLEITMO is to back-pedal 'em through a rag sprayed with WD40. This gets rid of some excess surface Gleitmo which might attract more dust than necessary. This of course doesn't affect the inner Gleitmo. Then I ride the chain until it looks/sounds dry and re-lube with homebrew.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  13. #13
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    What *I* do with my new SRAM chains pre-lubed in GLEITMO is to back-pedal 'em through a rag sprayed with WD40. This gets rid of some excess surface Gleitmo which might attract more dust than necessary. This of course doesn't affect the inner Gleitmo. Then I ride the chain until it looks/sounds dry and re-lube with homebrew.
    That's more or less what I do as well.
    I wipe excess stock lube off with a rag, apply prolink right on top of it & go.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-10-2005 at 09:24 AM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    That's more or less what I do as well.
    I excess stock lube off with a rag, apply prolink right on top of it & go.
    Great minds think alike eh Doc?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  15. #15
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629
    I don't know about "great" & "think alike" since I pretty much borrowed that concept from you 4 years ago

    PS. Excuse the typo which has been corrected.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I don't know about "great" & "think alike" since I pretty much borrowed that concept from you 4 years ago
    Oh well in THAT case..........Nyaaaaa, copycat!!
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,740
    From what I've read on various websites, it appears that Gleitmo in various forms is simply an industrial lubricant used as a part of the manufacturing process all the way from bolts, screws, chains, etc. I for one will continue to strip this product off my chains and lubricate with Prolink as I have for years. Contrary to what the SRAM "tech" said, many lubricants will replace the Gleitmo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Oh well in THAT case..........Nyaaaaa, copycat!!

  18. #18
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629
    You may, of course, do whatever you like. Personally, I see no reason to remove the lubricant. I've used SRAM chains everywhere from NJ & VT thick mud to Colorado red sand and haven't found it to be much of a dirt attractant.

    Before I learned of the SRAM lube I used to degrease & lube them before installing.
    Result: the chain wears out MUCH quicker that way as compared to leaving the lubricant on.

    Just an FYI. Your mileage may vary.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  19. #19
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    From what I've read on various websites, it appears that Gleitmo in various forms is simply an industrial lubricant used as a part of the manufacturing process all the way from bolts, screws, chains, etc. I for one will continue to strip this product off my chains and lubricate with Prolink as I have for years. Contrary to what the SRAM "tech" said, many lubricants will replace the Gleitmo.
    I can't find a Gleitmo website but that sites that do come up and mention Gleitmo mention different formats that what coats my chains. What's to say that Mr. Gleit didn't invent a mixture just for SRAM chains, which actually are the Sedis and later Sachs chains of decades ago?

    Of course you are free to do with your chains as you wish but that doesn't make it right. Most people find that following the manufacturers directions is best in the end.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Similar Threads

  1. SS Specific Chain?
    By onepivot in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 04:25 PM
  2. 1/8" or 3/32" chain?
    By ssbn742 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
  3. 1/8" or 3/32"?
    By sslos in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 08:44 AM
  4. 1/8 chain reccomendations?
    By striker in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 12:44 PM
  5. 1/8 vs 3/32
    By mon t in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •