mtbr member
    May 2010

How many out there really need a 30T?

Hey guys,

Just interested to know who's on 30T up front or really wished that there is a standard 30T chainring option.

Something Shimano just came out with(more options! Good/Bad??!!). The Deore Shadow Plus is a nice touch but triple with 22/30/40 dubbed the "compact triple" crankset. What say you?

Link below:

Plays with tools
    It's never bad for consumers to have more options. It's normally not good for manufactures though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yea, you're right! Not good for all 3 levels. Manufacturer > Distributors > Dealers.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwfreak View Post
    Hey guys,

Just interested to know who's on 30T up front or really wished that there is a standard 30T chainring option.

Something Shimano just came out with(more options! Good/Bad??!!). The Deore Shadow Plus is a nice touch but triple with 22/30/40 dubbed the "compact triple" crankset. What say you?

Link below:
    Rather than 22/30/40, why not just put a bashguard on in place of the 40t and run a 36t instead of a 30t? You'd still have most of the gear range and simplify things in the process.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ran a 22/30/40 with a 12-34 9 speed cassette on my bike until I switched to XX1 a couple of weeks ago. To me, the change in gearing really brought the 29er to life. The 30t middle ring gives a range very close to what you have with at 32t on a 26 inch bike. I was able to stay in the middle ring more, and less shifting on the front is always a good thing, imo.

The 40t was fine. I went with it primarily because it simplified the mounting of the 30t (Product Info | Andersen Machine's Blog). The 30t was the real star, though.

FWIW I'm a relatively fit rider that spends most of my time in Central Texas - which has lots of relatively short, but steep and rocky climbs - with occasional time in the mountains and deserts of UT. I know a ton of riders - especially folks on 29ers - that have tried the 30t and love it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Hey guys,

Link below:
    Only took them 20 years to get back to gearing they already had, but now in an inferior format.

There was ZERO reason (other than to be different) to drop the 94/58 5-bolt cranks that could use 30 and 20T rings.

I still use 44/30 and bash/32/20 94/58BCD setups.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

dwt
    mtbr member

My next ride will be 27.5" or 29" and it WILL have 30T middle ring X 10 speed, to gear down for bigger wheel.

Some of us are average, which was what 32T on a 26'er was designed for as optimum middle ring for over 20 years.

I would actually replace the 40T on the Shimano crank with a bash (assuming I can find one to fit the bcd) because 30:11 is high enough gear for me with big wheels (even 27.5", definitely 29") and 40T still big enough to scrape rocks and logs, a PIA I can do without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Only took them 20 years to get back to gearing they already had, but now in an inferior format.

There was ZERO reason (other than to be different) to drop the 94/58 5-bolt cranks that could use 30 and 20T rings.

Useful info I got from a Shimano rep. The new compact crankset BCD is 96/64 (4-bolt).

Good luck with the new mid/outer ring search for now...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    With a 94mm 4-bolt BCD, I believe you will need to custom machine a bash guard. Shouldn't be too hard as I see many machinists available in the States.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    With a 94mm 4-bolt BCD, I believe you will need to custom machine a bash guard. Shouldn't be too hard as I see many machinists available in the States.
    You won't need to, unless you want one right away.

Shimano is freakin' huge, and these cranks will probably get a lot of OEM spec -
    Aftermarket companies will end up filling the void, as has happened when other oddball BCDs have been thrust upon us. Now, I'd rather they'd just slimmed the arm tabs down and figured out a decent way to do it on a 104mm BCD, which seems the most "standard" of anything at this point.

Yeah, it'd be great if the industry as a whole would actually pick a BCD standard (even if it's one you may not like) because, hey, it'd be a standard.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

As for the 30t - lots of people. At least many of us running single rings. 30x11-36 is turning out to work quite well for a lot of people. Right now, the options to get a 30t with a decent chainline, bash protection and chain security options are limited. Another option is good.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    I ran a 22/30/40 with a 12-34 9 speed cassette on my bike until I switched to XX1 a couple of weeks ago. To me, the change in gearing really brought the 29er to life. The 30t middle ring gives a range very close to what you have with at 32t on a 26 inch bike. I was able to stay in the middle ring more, and less shifting on the front is always a good thing, imo.
    My rides mostly start off with lots of long climbs, but once the climbs are done then lots of flow trails with shorter steeper climbs. A 30T chain ring is the perfect size for me to keep the flow and build some strength. Extralite has shown 30T can be done on a 104 BCD, so why change BCD, again!?

Nice to see that it will be available from a big player, though. Too bad it took so long. I agree with shiggy on that there was no reason to drop the 94/58 5-bolt cranks, but I guess Shimano will not admit to it and rather introduce a new pointless BCD instead.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post

Yea, but ... They have a new group of riders to entice to spend dollars

banned
    Aug 2012
    More money

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You can get a 30t 64mm BCD ring from Specialites TA.

The chainline is actually very good in the leftmost position on the crank. I'm running it on a 26er with a 1x10 (11-36 cassette) with 2.4"/60mm tires and a homebrew chainguide and I'll probably stick with this setup.

dwt
    mtbr member

I'll bet BBG will have a selection of new bashes on its site, as soon as this 4 bolt compact comes on the market.

Update: e-mailed BBG, and they said they will wait and see how popular the new Shimano 4arm 94 bcd becomes first. My guess: very popular; stock on all 29" and 27.5" bikes, which combined will dominate the market by 2015. That's a lot of micro compact 4 arm cranks and rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 03-09-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My main bike this year will be my old "bulletproof" hardtail, 1x9 hussefelt crank, and 32x 11/34 cassette. I never use the taller 4, so a 30t on the front would be a bit nicer...