Keep on Rockin...

How long will Shimano continue to make 9 speed stuff?

Sorry, as I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere.

Anyone know a link or the answer?

If they are still making 9 speed stuff, any one know for how long?

(x-post in drivetrain)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Probably for a while.

Hmmmmm
    An even better questions is, how long will they make quality 9 speed parts.
    Oh well.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

T.W.O
    I'm sure they are going to hop on the SRAM 10sp drivetrain. Then it will just become who has the stock and for how long.

It's about showing up.
    8-speed was introduced in 1993.
    9-speed was introduced in 1999.
    8 speed stuff was pretty easy to get through about 2007 or so. After that is kept getting tougher.
    I don't rattle.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    8-speed was introduced in 1993.
    9-speed was introduced in 1999.
    8 speed stuff was pretty easy to get through about 2007 or so. After that is kept getting tougher.
    Yup, the other day, I saw a bike with an XT derailleur paired to an Alivio shifter, because Shimano quit doing high end 8 speed years ago.

I expect to see Deore level 9 speed stuff for many years. XT stuff might be out of production within 5 years, but I'm just guessing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

It's about showing up.
    I moved to 9-speed in 2001. In 2005 my high school mtb team at El Cerrito built bikes from donations and took donated bikes to "enrich." It was great and the majority of donors were from this site. We ended up with a lot of XT level 25 lb racing bikes witha lot of 8-speed.. Anyhow in 2007, with newer bikes coming onto the team, we decided that everything would go to 9-speed and Shimano V-brakes. This was a simple streamlining for team mechanical purposes and really helped with pads, chains, shifters, and levers.

You know, I've been doing this since 5 and 6 speed. They all worked just fine. I have a nice 9-speed xtr system on my Bontrager Racelite. I figure I will ride that for another 4 years and change.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You guys are scarying me

My transitions from 7 speed to 8 speed (+ v-brakes) to 9 speed (+ disc brakes) seemed pretty painless and necessary but this next jump to 10 speed feels like its going to cost me plenty with no value added.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano makes 6, 7, and 8 speed stuff still...they'll make 9 speed for years, it just wont be top end.

meatier showers
    Exactly 9 years.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    You can only get a Deore level cassette with 36 tooth large right now in 9 speed. SRAM only makes a low level one as well. So, they have already dropped the focus. It sucks. It shows no respect for the customers who dumped major money into their systems. I wish their was a 3rd player to come along and compete with the big 2 a$$holes. Sun Race, Suntour, anyone.

Since small builder stuff always has a niche in mountain biking markets, it seems like someone could enter the market with some really cool stuff "for real mountain bikers". Super durable, 8 speed, or nine speed, no BS, and take some of the business away from SRAM and Shimano.
    They'd have to build a rep for coolness and quality. It would be tough. I know I'm just dreaming. Hell, Campagnolo can't even sell sh@t to mountain bikers.

Fat-tired Roadie
    IRD has been doing cassettes and freewheels for keeping older bikes rolling for ages. I asked about the freewheels at one point, and ended up going with the cheap Shimano, which shifts better than the supposedly nicer freewheel it replaced.

I think a lot of Shimano's market dominance comes from producing really smooth drivetrain components, and getting indexed shifting and STI on the market fast. The 12-36 9-speed cassette is a pretty recent addition to their line, and I wasn't aware of it being available in models other than the HG-61 in the first place.

Campagnolo had a MTB line. It was supposed to have sucked.

Looking at QBP, though, it does seem likely that getting a nice cassette for a 9-speed system will get more difficult in a few years. I just wish that the 9-speed to 10-speed transition was like the 8-speed to 9-speed one - then I'd just shrug and go 10-speed whenever my shifters get worn out or banged into something. As it is, I really don't care to make a switch. It also seems unlikely that the market will reject this stuff the way it rejected Shimano's new freehub spacing when they came out with 10-speed for road. (Actually kind of too bad - it would have reduced wheel dish.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    The 12-36 9-speed cassette is a pretty recent addition to their line, and I wasn't aware of it being available in models other than the HG-61 in the first place.
    Is it?

Campagnolo had a MTB line. It was supposed to have sucked.
    Yeah, MB Action really ragged on the Campy stuff, but that was back when people thought that MBA's opinion mattered. Campy gave up way too soon.

mtbr member
    I'm curious why you guys think getting an XT or XTR cassette in 9s will be difficult soon; Dura/Ace went 10s in 2004, and QBP still has 9s versions in stock (and there isn't as good a reason to stay with 9 on the road). 12-36 came out about the same time as 10s and was never made in a high-end 9s version. Yeah, I don't think you'll see much in the way of new product for 9s, but that shouldn't really surprise anyone.
    I'd guess shifters and derailleurs will become hard to find, but cassettes and chains... I think they'll be around for a while.

Campagnolo is struggling to keep any decent share of the road market, I can't fault them for shying away from mtbs right now, considering how bad their first try was (I think what happened was they designed their components 3-4 years before selling them, and they were sort of behind the times by the time they came out). And in case you didn't notice, they're selling 11-speed road parts right now, and were the first 10s road parts, by several years. I'd doubt they'd want the image of the retro mtb group

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yeah, MB Action really ragged on the Campy stuff, but that was back when people thought that MBA's opinion mattered. Campy gave up way too soon.
    I worked on Campy's MTB stuff, it was way over engineered and super heavy...though it was pretty durable. Both Shimano and Suntour stuff at that time was better though, Campy (and Europe in general in the early 90's) simply didn't have a clue.

wyrd bi ful rd
    As more and more users hop onto 10-speed, demand for 9-speed will reduce to a point when Shimano decides that it is no longer viable to support so many differentiation of a single product. They will just choose a couple and go from there. And naturally it will not be the 'top-of-the-line', but something more likely to be more affordable to the general masses.

eg: Looking at the following line, Deore, LX, SLX, XT and XTR. Could be missing some in the between but just for arguments' sake. What reasons do each one of us have when buying each of the 5 different levels above?

If you are using a Deore cassette in your bike now and if you will continue to use that in future ... will you change from that line??? I think not ... for various reasons ... but not wishing to sound speculative but you know what I mean ...

For some who uses XTR, they will most likely race with it for the 'performance' and weight ... and will they go with 10-speed in future ... I think so ... because it is deemed to be better? Is it not? Not answering that ... or some will own it just because it is XTR and will they go with 10-speed in future, I think very likely so because ... (might sound speculative here ...) ... they are more likely to be in the bracket of individuals who prefers to own something at the 'so-called' fore front of technology? I could be wrong as there might be other reasons, but I think they will go 10-speed soon ... if not already ...

I am sure Shimano/SRAM knows the type of individuals who purchases their different product lines and whether they will stick with that line and so they will supply that which is demanded.

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You can only get a Deore level cassette with 36 tooth large right now in 9 speed. SRAM only makes a low level one as well. So, they have already dropped the focus. It sucks. It shows no respect for the customers who dumped major money into their systems. I wish their was a 3rd player to come along and compete with the big 2 a$$holes. Sun Race, Suntour, anyone.

Since small builder stuff always has a niche in mountain biking markets, it seems like someone could enter the market with some really cool stuff "for real mountain bikers". Super durable, 8 speed, or nine speed, no BS, and take some of the business away from SRAM and Shimano.
    They'd have to build a rep for coolness and quality. It would be tough. I know I'm just dreaming. Hell, Campagnolo can't even sell sh@t to mountain bikers.
    I think that's why Mountain Cycle decided to go with Paxis Works cranks and Kore wheelsets on the new models.

I agree with the idea of a third player. Sram and Shimano are getting to big for their and our own good.
    Maybe the Feds should get involved. Like passing a similar law to the ones they have for automobile manufacturers. IE they have to supply spares for at least 7 years after it's out of production.
    In the bike world it wouldn't have to be as long as 7 yrs, but maybe 5 would be reasonable.
    In any case, the manufacturers help themselves first, then the customers second. I think thinner chains and gearing just wear quicker and the real benefit is to their bank accounts.
    The only real difference I got when going from 8 to 9 spds years ago, was having to do more maintenance on my drivetrain. I had to clean it more often, and noticed within months, that I was wearing out chains much quicker.

I thought about going back to 8 spd a few years back, but the gearing on the cassettes was being made out of the thinner stock used in 9 spd cassette manufacture anyways, by that time.
    I got in a big argument in another thread about that, a few days ago, and was basically told I was an idiot. So here I was in a shop yesterday, buying a new XT 9 spd cassette for one of my bikes, when a young guy that is the shop's mechanic started showing me a vintage bike in his workstand. There was the proof right before us. The old style cassette on that bike, had gearing made out of metal stampings that were at least twice as thick as the modern cassette I was holding.
    We both had to admit though, that cassette felt like a brick. LOL.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Keep on Rockin...

How 'bout this....

Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I think that's why Mountain Cycle decided to go with Paxis Works cranks and Kore wheelsets on the new models.

I agree with the idea of a third player. Sram and Shimano are getting to big for their and our own good.
    Maybe the Feds should get involved. Like passing a similar law to the ones they have for automobile manufacturers. IE they have to supply spares for at least 7 years after it's out of production.
    In the bike world it wouldn't have to be as long as 7 yrs, but maybe 5 would be reasonable.
    In any case, the manufacturers help themselves first, then the customers second. I think thinner chains and gearing just wear quicker and the real benefit is to their bank accounts.
    The only real difference I got when going from 8 to 9 spds years ago, was having to do more maintenance on my drivetrain. I had to clean it more often, and noticed within months, that I was wearing out chains much quicker.

I thought about going back to 8 spd a few years back, but the gearing on the cassettes was being made out of the thinner stock used in 9 spd cassette manufacture anyways, by that time.
    I got in a big argument in another thread about that, a few days ago, and was basically told I was an idiot. So here I was in a shop yesterday, buying a new XT 9 spd cassette for one of my bikes, when a young guy that is the shop's mechanic started showing me a vintage bike in his workstand. There was the proof right before us. The old style cassette on that bike, had gearing made out of metal stampings that were at least twice as thick as the modern cassette I was holding.
    We both had to admit though, that cassette felt like a brick. LOL.
    A drive train group for mountain biking... 3 rings up front and drop the last 3 rings off the current 9 speed cassette and make a rear dishless wheel.

On a mountain bike, would your really miss that 44x11 combo?!?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    A drive train group for mountain biking... 3 rings up front and drop the last 3 rings off the current 9 speed cassette and make a rear dishless wheel.

On a mountain bike, would your really miss that 44x11 combo?!?
    Yes, I would. Quite useful on our local racecourses. One example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smsWa...ailpage#t=671s

Also useful for those of us who ride to the trailhead in city traffic. Power on at 35mph+ on an arterial descent, no problem. Or for those of us who take our XC bike on road rides just to persecute our roadie pals with

Fat-tired Roadie
    I used my 44/11 today. I was visiting my girlfriend and her town has a really nice system of interconnected trails, so I could ride to the trailhead in about twenty-five minutes. So, some road riding as well.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx