Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    226

    How to install Shimano Hollowtech II to PF30

    I'd like to know the best way to install my shimano hollowtech II crank set to my salsa spearfish which uses a pf30 bottom bracket standard.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    934
    if you have a 68mm shell and the cranks take the english threaded bottom bracket you can use this: Universal Cycles -- FSA PF30 to 68mm Threaded Adaptor

    or this for the wider shell: Universal Cycles -- Sram PF30 to English Thread Adapter

    I havent used either. But my cannondale did have a factory BB30 to english threaded adapter installed similar to the FSA that I posted.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,971
    The simplest solution is often the best...
    Universal Cycles -- Wheels Manufacturing BB/PF30 to 24mm Adaptors

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Thanks I was looking at that but I couldn't find any reviews. Anyone have any feedback on this one since it looks like it will require the least ammount of work to install since it looks like I won't have to remove the PF30 bottom bracket to get it to work.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    226
    Thanks the second one looks interesting. I'll have to look into it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Thanks I was looking at that but I couldn't find any reviews. Anyone have any feedback on this one since it looks like it will require the least ammount of work to install since it looks like I won't have to remove the PF30 bottom bracket to get it to work.
    How much of a review can you give a plastic spacer?
    I use them. They work...
    The more expensive PF30 to Regular BB sleeves will require you to buy a new bottom bracket...and the WILL creak...and are a PITA to remove.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How much of a review can you give a plastic spacer?
    I use them. They work...
    The more expensive PF30 to Regular BB sleeves will require you to buy a new bottom bracket...and the WILL creak...and are a PITA to remove.
    lol ok sounds good to me. I found them on amazone for about $21

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How much of a review can you give a plastic spacer?
    I use them. They work...
    The more expensive PF30 to Regular BB sleeves will require you to buy a new bottom bracket...and the WILL creak...and are a PITA to remove.
    Mine NEVER creaked. Loctite makes a retaining compound that is supposed to be used with it.. same compound I use with the BB30 bearings, which also prevent any creaking.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Thinking of moving to a Shimano on my Niner PF30.

    Can't really tell with this, but are the bearing in this adapter negating the need for the Shimano cups? It says to tap them into the bearing in the BB shell....there are no bearings in a PF30 shell....so I'm a bit confused. Thanks

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Thinking of moving to a Shimano on my Niner PF30.

    Can't really tell with this, but are the bearing in this adapter negating the need for the Shimano cups? It says to tap them into the bearing in the BB shell....there are no bearings in a PF30 shell....so I'm a bit confused. Thanks
    Wheels Manufacturing Universal BB30/PF30 To Shimano Adapter

    "Simply tap the adapters into the 6806 bearing in the BB shell or cups, then install the cranks using the included spacers to adjust chainline, or to take up any side-to-side movement in the crank."

    If there arent any bearings in a PF30 shell, where are the bearings?

  11. #11
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,246
    Praxis makes an adapter that appears to be really well made. I've been looking for an exscuse to use one in a customer bike. All of my frames have threaded BB's and ALWAYS will.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    All of my frames have threaded BB's and ALWAYS will.
    Your choices might diminish in the future. I too don't like threadless BBs, but I wanted a new Ventana, so now I have one.

    I am using the Praxis with an XT 770 crank and so far so good. The bad news is that it has only been installed since late April. The good news is that I ride in very, very wet conditions and it's holding-up.

    We'll see how long it lasts.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Thinking of moving to a Shimano on my Niner PF30.

    Can't really tell with this, but are the bearing in this adapter negating the need for the Shimano cups? It says to tap them into the bearing in the BB shell....there are no bearings in a PF30 shell....so I'm a bit confused. Thanks
    Sweet merciful crap.
    If 2 plastic spacers confuse you...I can't help.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Your choices might diminish in the future. I too don't like threadless BBs, but I wanted a new Ventana, so now I have one.

    I am using the Praxis with an XT 770 crank and so far so good. The bad news is that it has only been installed since late April. The good news is that I ride in very, very wet conditions and it's holding-up.

    We'll see how long it lasts.
    Good to know your Praxis is holding up. I have one on the shelf....looks very well made. I'm going to use it IF my BB30 bearings start eating themselves.
    Can you use a Shimano thread in b/b with it? Or do you have to use one of Praxis?
    ( I haven't even looked at that...but reading this thread made me wonder)

    I have had great luck with the Wheels MFG spacers on my Cdale road bike and mtb....and have had no problems with the BB30 systems.....but as soon as I do, the Praxis is going in.

  15. #15
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Your choices might diminish in the future. I too don't like threadless BBs, but I wanted a new Ventana, so now I have one.

    I am using the Praxis with an XT 770 crank and so far so good. The bad news is that it has only been installed since late April. The good news is that I ride in very, very wet conditions and it's holding-up.

    We'll see how long it lasts.
    Glad your Praxis conversion is holding up well.

    I build my own frames so I'm in complete control of what BB shell I use.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Can you use a Shimano thread in b/b with it? Or do you have to use one of Praxis? ( I haven't even looked at that...but reading this thread made me wonder)
    If I'm not mistaken, the Praxis unit is a BB...not an adapter. It's got it's own bearings.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Praxis unit is a BB...not an adapter. It's got it's own bearings.
    Correct. I installed it without spacers and slid the crank spindle through. Just remember to use the special loctite for bearings (it's listed in the instructions). I let the bond cure for about three days before use.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Sweet merciful crap.
    If 2 plastic spacers confuse you...I can't help.
    Oh please, Mr. the Mayor, find in your heart one more shred of tolerance for the ignorant and help a poor lad!

    I love genius D-Bags on interweb chat rooms. Such a commanding presence!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Good to know your Praxis is holding up. I have one on the shelf....looks very well made. I'm going to use it IF my BB30 bearings start eating themselves.
    Can you use a Shimano thread in b/b with it? Or do you have to use one of Praxis?
    ( I haven't even looked at that...but reading this thread made me wonder)

    I have had great luck with the Wheels MFG spacers on my Cdale road bike and mtb....and have had no problems with the BB30 systems.....but as soon as I do, the Praxis is going in.
    Correction and Update: I own a Parlee BB adaptor. It's basically toast at this point. I installed it at the beginning of May - 2013. So it lasted 4 months. I ride in very wet and muddy conditions. However, all (and I mean all) other threaded BBs I have used lasted about a year.

    At least I can replace bearings without removing cups. So far no squeaking.

Similar Threads

  1. Hollowtech II Crank install question
    By Mr5150 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM
  2. PF30 BB Install in Carbon BB Shell?
    By G-Choro in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
  3. PF30 bottom bracket install on carbon frame question
    By brightsky in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
  4. PF30 Install Options
    By Alexgonzalezmi in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
  5. Shimano Hollowtech II. Help
    By justlearning in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •