mtbr member
    Dec 2010

how to install BB for 1 x10

Hi all, iam in the process of building up a commuter bike using a 2009 specialized tricross frame. I have most of the components but want to know how to install the bb when using a single chainring up front (FSA 42 T)..do I need 1 spacer on each side or 1 of the non-drive side and 2 on the drive side? also what type of chain will I need as I will be using a shimano xt M770 derailleur on the rear and 12-36 10 speed cassette. thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The crank has nothing to do with the spacers of the bottom bracket. It's the width of the BB shell. 1 2.5mm spacer is used on the drive side in place of a BB mount FD. If your shell is 68mm, then 2 on the drive side & 1 on the non-drive side. If the shell is 73mm, then only the one on the drive side. I think the total width with BB cups and any spacers, should be somewhere around 96.5mm

You chain should be a 10spd chain. Doesn't matter what brand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You could go away from the standard spacer instructions to alter your chainline. Ideally you want the ring smack dead center of the cassette and you can move the ring in by placing all spacers on one side. For a commuter you may find the small cogs getting the most use and may want your ring farther out. This can be done with bb spacers and or ring placement in middle or outer position.