mtbr member

How the heck do you remove i-spec shifters?

I want to move my shifter pods closer to my hands. They are currently set as far out as they will go and it looks like the i-spec mount gives me about a half inch of adjustability...if I can get to the screw!

The screw that I need to loosen to move the pods is completely covered up by the brake master cylinder. I can remove the screw that connects the i-spec mount to the brake but the i-spec mount has some sort of hook that keeps it dangling from the brake lever. I've moved that thing around every which way and that and can't get it to unhook.

I took the whole brake lever off the bike but that doesn't allow any better access to the screw OR allow me to unhook the shift pod connector.

Any ideas??

NEVER MIND: Figured it out. You have to remove the backing nut inside the brake lever clamp to allow the hook on the i-spec mount to come free. Pain in the butt, just to adjust the position of the shifters but it's all good now. While it is a pain, I do like the clean handlebar that i-spec creates.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 05-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    The screw that I need to loosen to move the pods is completely covered up by the brake master cylinder.
    If you try and use a hex key from above on that nut then, yes, the brakes prevent access. However, that nut also has spanner flats on the side, so you can slip a 7mm spanner in between the shifter and brake to undo/tighten it.