mtbr member

How Hard is it to...swap XO grip shift for trigger shift????

Sorry for the lame newbie post...

I can handle any task on my bike but I've never messed with the shifters or derailleurs. I usually just let the shop do that since I live by a good one and they're good at what they do.

I need to replace a XO grip shift with a XO trigger shift for my brother. I would just take it to the shop but there's no time this week and we want to go for a ride this weekend. His rear mech is a SRAM XO and it's fully dialed in correctly.

Is this a simple swapout? I've got all the right tools (park tool kit with cable cutters). I'm assuming I just pick up the shifter, some new housing....a few feruls(spelling?) and anything else?

Will I have to re-adjust the rear mech? Lastly, I've also got a book Anything I should watch out for? I consider myself way above average for mechanical ability but as I noted before I've never played around with the shifters & derailleurs.

Thanks in advance!
    1x9's rule

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's pretty much what you said it is. You should not have to readjust the rear derailluer, only the cable tension. Chances are you will be able to reuse the existing housing as well, just install a new cable.

mtbr member
    Cool, so is it safe to assume that setting the cable tension is pretty straight forward too?
    1x9's rule

Is flexy
    Yeah dude, if the limit screws are all set-up already on the rear derailleur then it is just the cable tension that you need to adjust. If you have mechanical ability then you can figure it out...tighter cable move the mech up more...you get the idea. It works exactly how it seems.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member

Help Help Help Help Help Help

Arghhhh..this should have been easy but it didn't work out as planned!

Ok..I removed the old SRAM XO grip shift...the housing was still relatively new so I kept it. I put a little lube on the cable...pushed it through really easy...made sure the cable was out all the way of the shifter...and gave it a little tension and tightened the set screw.

I had the bike in the stand and shifted throught the gears a few times while hand pedaling and it worked perfect.

Then I actually rode it. When I shift into a larger rear cog with the larger thumb trigger it shifts very crisp and precise.

When I try to shift into a smaller rear cog I press the smaller thumb trigger and it sticks for a second and then the trigger releases and it shifts. Does anyone know why the trigger is sticking after I push it? It's like I push the trigger in and it stays in for a second and then it pops out.

Thoughts?????

Thanks!
    1x9's rule

Are you talking to me?

did you replace the cable?

if not, it may be binding up in the housing somewhere.

it may be as simple as that.
    gfy