mtbr member

How to grease a bottom bracket?

1 month old bike with a Truvativ ISIS BB ... already the bottom bracket is squeaking and sounding dirty. Bike wasn't purchased at a LBS, so I'm doing my own maintanence. So I remove the bottom bracket to grease it and can't figure out how to clean the bearings and get grease to the bearings. Check out the picture here ... the bottom bracket is basically just 2 pieces, and I can't figure out how to dissassemble it further.

I'd appreciate any wisdom out there regarding how to clean and grease the bearings on this thing. Thanks!

(by the way, Truvativ's website is just about useless on this topic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Cartridge bottom brackets generally aren't designed to be servicable, but you can pick around at some and figure out how to lift a bearing seal enough the get some grease into it. Your best bet is to really remove and replace, if it is in fact the bearings that are problematic (and with some of the ISIS reports I've read here, I guess I wouldn't be too surprised).

On the other hand, it could be the interface. I like to wrap teflon pipe thread tape around the cartridge and adapter threads, smear a finger full of anti-sieze inside the bottom bracket shell threads, then install to ~50 ft-lbs of torque. Standard all purpose grease then goes on the splines, and the crank arms are attached with ~35 ft-lbs of torque. That should be enough to solve any noise short of bad bearings.

mtbr member

and how to Torque?

Hey Nate, thanks for the reply.

Would you mind describing how you torque the BB? I have a torque wrench ... but its a 3/8" drive and I definitely do not have a socket big enough to fit the Park BBT-8 tool. Do you have a large socket (I think it is a 36 or 41mm) and a 1/2" drive torque wrench that you use?

Thanks!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicyco
    Hey Nate, thanks for the reply.

Would you mind describing how you torque the BB? I have a torque wrench ... but its a 3/8" drive and I definitely do not have a socket big enough to fit the Park BBT-8 tool. Do you have a large socket (I think it is a 36 or 41mm) and a 1/2" drive torque wrench that you use?

Thanks!
    I have a 1/2" drive socket that fits my Lifu BB tool and a 3/8" drive that fits my Park BB tool (begging the question, how did I end up with two bottom bracket tools?).