mtbr member
    Oct 2004

how does sram shift different? triggers?

Just wondering the difference between the sram x.7 compared to shimano shifters? I currently have deore triggers running a LX derailler. Was considering upgrading to LX or XT shifters but have found 05 X.7 shifters and derailer pretty cheap as a combo deal so considering that. Will the standard front derailler work with this? Also wondering how the Sram triggers work. Is it the same as shimano?

banned
    All shifting with thumbs. I feel more secure/confident using the SRAM stuff..

What It Be ?
    Is it a security thing or a "Big S" thing? I have always ridden shimano never had a problem. I'm running an XTR rear derailer XT front XT rings and an XT cassette all 8 speed. Would my bike ride and shift better if I switched over to sram? I dunno. Guess I just opened a bag of worms.

Are you talking to me?

No it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy
    Just wondering the difference between the sram x.7 compared to shimano shifters? I currently have deore triggers running a LX derailler. Was considering upgrading to LX or XT shifters but have found 05 X.7 shifters and derailer pretty cheap as a combo deal so considering that. Will the standard front derailler work with this? Also wondering how the Sram triggers work. Is it the same as shimano?

The X series shifters are an ESP system , it has a 1:1 leverage ratio. Shimano der.'s work on a 2:1 ratio, so the two will not work together at the rear. Up front is fine.
    gfy

Now why you would expect that having different derailleurs would make your bike ride better, I don't know. Some folk like the shifting of SRAM, some Shimano. SRAM uses a different rear derailleur actuation ratio than Shimano (i.e. how much cable is pulled and how the derailleur reacts to that) as a primary difference. Slightly different shifting method with the triggers between the two (and there's no comparable SRAM method to the combined brake lever/shift levers on the lastest Shimano setups).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I totally agree with damion. You can't run the X.7 Shifters with a Shimano rear derailleur. You can only run the Sram 2:1 ratio shifters(eg. Sram Attack) with Shimano rear derailleurs. The major difference between Sram and Shimano is that Sram derailleurs move 1 inch for every 1 inch to cable pull. Shimano runs on a 1:2 or 2:1 ratio which means that for every inch of cable pull the derailleurs move 2 inches...(don't quote me on that, it could be the other way around). Personally, I find that Sram drivetrains engage just a split second faster than Shimano drivetrains. I also find that when you shift from a bigger cog to a smaller cog on a Sram drivetrain, you don't get as big of a huge jump. Therefore, you won't feel that big hop or clunk noise on your chain. However, that is not a huge difference and some people won't even notice it may or may not affect you.