mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How does climate effect drivetrain wear?

The conditions in southeastern PA have been very dry recently. The trails, which are usually damp and slightly muddy, have turned dusty and dry. I noticed how much less of a beating my components take with less mud, sand and wet leaves getting thrown into my chain and components.

I bought a new bike 4 months ago and ride it once or twice a week. I'm a casual mountain biker (or is that an oxymoron?) and I keep my bikes clean and in good working condition. Even so, the chain which came stock already looks beat and old. I'm going to replace it during the off-season.

Conditions here seem to be pretty ripe to tear up drivetrains. I was wondering what kind of wear problems you run into under different conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Worst for me is winter, a cold snap with snow, the roads get sanded, then a chinook will melt the snow, followed by heavy salt to cut the ice.

I can blow a chain in one or two weeks.

Cheezy Rider
    When your drivetrain gets muddy it's basically coated in grinding compound, so yeah, things do wear out quicker. When you replace the chain, take a look at your rings and cassette. If the teeth are starting to wear or 'hook', you need a new drivetrain.

Helpful info from good ol' Sheldon Brown:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#stretch