Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you know when to replace rear derailer??

635 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oldskoolbiker 
#1 ·
My bike keeps jumping in the smaller cogs on the rear cassette when under medium pressure. It has a new rear cassette and chain...How do I know if the derailer is rooted???

#2 ·
Derailluers usually last a really long time, about the only thing that wears out on them are jockey wheels. The most common reason to replace a derailleur is because of a crash and it gets bent. Once they're bent they are almost impossible to straighten out.

Now after you installed that new cassette, did you re-adjust your derailleur stops and cable tension? You should always double check the derailleur adjustment after putting on a new cassette, because the cogs may line up slightly differently between different cassettes.

Also verify that it is indeed coming from the rear. I had a similar problem once, and it turned out to be the middle front chainring was slipping, because I replaced the chain. Put the bike in the granny or big ring (which are used a lot less, and won't be worn out) and see if you still have the problem. If the problem goes away, get a new middle ring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.