mtbr member
    Aug 2010

How do you know what size BB to use?

I'm in the process of looking for a new crank because I think the bottom bracket is shot. So this is an opportunity to upgrade. I was looking to get the Shimano SLX crankset with the hollowtech II BB. Now how do I know if it will fit on my bike. Is it a universal size. I know they have 170 or 175mm for the arms. If I were to go with any SLX set it will fit on my bike? Also I will be able to remove the small chainring on the set also right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Shimano Hollowtech II fit both 68 and 73mm bb's - with or without a bb-mount front der. Should fit a wahoo fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Two key specs for all bottom brackets.

1- cup size/thread which have to match the BB shell in the frame, start here to get into the right ballpark.

2- spindle length, which has to agree with Bottom bracket width, ie 68 or 73mm, and has to match the crankset, in terms of right-side offset. Also with cranks have integrated spindles, must match the spindle.

Careful reading of frame and crankset specs will help you make a short list of the options, then pick one based on your preference or budget.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the help. Do you guys know if you can remove the Chainrings on the SLX crankset. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just not sure if all chainrings are removable. Because I would like to run 2x9