Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you get that little biege bushing out of Time ATACs?

938 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  conrad 
#1 ·
I want to get that little bushing out on the inside there in the pic bellow.
Anyone done it?
Finger Photography Nail Thumb Household hardware

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never had my ATACs open (still smooth) but is that black piece a rubber seal?
If so, you might try something like like a dental pick or a bent awl to pull that out, then possibly do the same w/ the bushing?

Out of curiosity, why do you want to remove it?

#3 ·
that is a little seal in there and I have gently tried to remove it. It wont budge.

I replaced the bearings and wanted to replace the bushings because the pedal has a little "wear" type play that was not there before. According to an ex Time rep, the bearing and the bushing will fix my problem.

#4 ·
I'd say pull harder - that's easy to say when it's not my pedal :D
but yeah, it definitely looks like the seal needs to come out first
can you get some new seals where ya got the bushings from? - in case you tear it by pulling harder?

oh, and are both sides (ends) the same?
is there a way to press the bushing all the way out the other side?

#5 · (Edited)
I finally got that little bugger out. The pedal finally started making an scary creek, so I had to figure this one out.

To remove the axle.
  1. Take the end cap off and remove the nut (10 mm socket).
  2. With the axle centered between two open vise jaws, use a punch on the tip of the axle and force it out the crank arm end of the pedal.
  3. Remove the bearing and replace if needed.
To remove the old bushing
  1. Put a small screwdriver (2mm blade or something)between the seal and the beige bushing.
  2. Pry moderately hard. The seal will then come out.
  3. Take a 10 mm hex wrench and stick it through the other side of the pedal and hit it with a mallet to get the bushing out.
To put the new one in:
  1. Center it in place with a screwdriver with the shaft of the screwdriver through the pedal.
  2. Have the bushing against the handle of the screwdriver and hit it with mallet to get it started.
  3. Take the old bushing and use it a punch and whack it with the mallet until the new bushing is all the way in.
  4. grease inside the bushing with a qtip or something similar.
Reassemble the pedal

It took me about 5 min a pedal.
I hope this helps someone else. TIMEs website is just bellow useless on this kind of stuff.

#7 ·
ziscwg said:
I finally got that little bugger out. The pedal finally started making an scary creek, so I had to figure this one out.

To remove the axle.
  1. Take the end cap off and remove the nut (10 mm socket).
  2. With the axle centered between two open vise jaws, use a punch on the tip of the axle and force it out the crank arm end of the pedal.
  3. Remove the bearing and replace if needed.
To remove the old bushing
  1. Put a small screwdriver (2mm blade or something)between the seal and the beige bushing.
  2. Pry moderately hard. The seal will then come out.
  3. Take a 8mm hex wrench and stick it through the other side of the pedal and hit it with a mallet to get the bushing out.
To put the new one in:
  1. Center it in place with a screwdriver with the shaft of the screwdriver through the pedal.
  2. Have the bushing against the handle of the screwdriver and hit it with mallet to get it started.
  3. Take the old bushing and use it a punch and whack it with the mallet until the new bushing is all the way in.
  4. grease inside the bushing with a qtip or something similar.
Reassemble the pedal

It took me about 5 min a pedal.
I hope this helps someone else. TIMEs website is just bellow useless on this kind of stuff.
What tool did you use to get the endcap off? Looks like you need a special tool.

#9 ·
There is a similar bushing in my Eggbeaters. When I removed it I found a drill bit that was just a little larger (.002 to .010.") and inserted it until it grabbed. I then pulled it out using a vise to hold the bit. This will damage the bushing, but I was replacing it anyway.

#10 ·
where do you get the parts mentioned

I have a similar problem with my first xs pedals, bushing stuffed & bearing ok.
Also the two pins that retain the cleat retemntion bars are badly worn. I need to replace these also. They just push out with a center punch & hammer.
Conrad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.