mtbr member
    Nov 2007

How do you get correct chain length, when using a bash guard

I've built up a new bike and need to put the chain on.

On the front I have a 22 tooth, 34 tooth ring and bash guard and an 11-34 in the rear.

Typically I would place the chain over the largest front ring and largest rear cog and a link and cut it. How do I size the chain now since I have installed a bash guard?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    you should size it the same way...only that your largest front ring is now 34T

Weekend Warrior
    Same thing. Use the largest/largest setting as crisillo said. If you ever plan to drop your big ring in the front again, make sure you plan for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It seems like that wouldn't work because the old method would wrap the chain around both without running it through the derailer giving you the correct length because you are not ever going to be in that gearing combination (big ring front big cog rear) but with 2 x 9 you will likely end up in the big ring (34) front and big cog rear.

Big big plus two links should work fine, add another link if it bothers you.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I always use the Shimano suggestion and run the chain through the derailleur, put it in Big/Big and then shorten/lengthen the chain until the rear derailleur cage and pulleys are at a 45 degree angle. Never broke a derailleur due to a short chain, so it must work.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I always use the Shimano suggestion and run the chain through the derailleur, put it in Big/Big and then shorten/lengthen the chain until the rear derailleur cage and pulleys are at a 45 degree angle. Never broke a derailleur due to a short chain, so it must work.

I thought Shimano's suggestion looked like this

but..the 45deg idea...seems good too (looks the big, big + link ends up with about the same length)

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    That doesn't look like a Shimano tech sheet... the typefaces make me think SRAM... (sorry, graphic designer alert) but I found Shimano's and it looks eerily similar.

This really dates me, they probably haven't been using the diagram I am thinking of in several years. =)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just switched to 2x9...big to big plus two works fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    That doesn't look like a Shimano tech sheet... the typefaces make me think SRAM... (sorry, graphic designer alert) but I found Shimano's and it looks eerily similar.

This really dates me, they probably haven't been using the diagram I am thinking of in several years. =)

you are correct.... just went to check the paper version ... you graphic designer you!