mtbr member
    Apr 2007

How do I service my bottom bracket?

I looked at the sticky, but I don't think I have an external bearing BB. I have a cheap, basic Tru-Vativ square taper BB that is sounding really gritty and is noticably harder to turn now. The bearings have plastic caps over them. Can I just pop those out and grease the bearings? I don't want to throw away a BB every time it gets sand in it, because this is Florida, and that would happen every couple of months (especially during the rainy season).

Please help a cheap skate out!
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

mtbr member
    I think you have to replace the unit. Get something a little nicer and it should last a lot longer.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...m+Bracket.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is stupid! I can't believe someone doesn't make a BB with replaceable bearings or even serviceable bearings. I may have to experiment with this one and see if I can get some grease in the bearings. If its junk either way I won't get too upset HAHA
    Tampa Florida

You can buy a good serviceable square taper bottom bracket, but it will cost you, and unless you have a commitment to a particular crank, not worth it and the cheap replaceable cartridge bb's will be a better value for you (you said you were a cheap skate running a cheap crankset....). Check out Phil Wood if you want to look into a fine square taper bb...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK, understood. I've had problems with square tapers before and upgraded one of them to ISIS. If I were to do the same now, and upgrade to an ISIS BB and cranks, can I then get a rebuildable/serviceable setup?

Like I said, living in Florida, with the wet sand, BB's get trashed pretty quickly. I'd love to find a better solution.
    Tampa Florida

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave In Florida
    OK, understood. I've had problems with square tapers before and upgraded one of them to ISIS. If I were to do the same now, and upgrade to an ISIS BB and cranks, can I then get a rebuildable/serviceable setup?

Like I said, living in Florida, with the wet sand, BB's get trashed pretty quickly. I'd love to find a better solution.
    Honeslty, I think ISIS would be a step down. They are notorious for short bearing life because the ISIS spec only leaves room for smaller bearing around the axle.

I had that same Shimano square taper BB that oldskoolbiker linked to on my last bike. It is probably a good deal better in quality than the Truvativ one. They can last for years and only cost $20 to replace.

Oh, and I believe most ISIS BBs aren't meant to be serviced either, but I could be wrong

I'm with Booom, ISIS I'd stay away from, although if you made a significant investment in a quality ISIS bb (SKF particularly) then maybe ISIS might be interesting. I do not believe any ISIS bb's are are serviceable, but might be wrong on that. Really depends on your budget, but if you're going for new cranks/bb I'd look at an external bb setup, probably LX or XT versions; externals are pretty much the standard now and Shimano did a better job than most with it. You may still not get true serviceability, but you could at least replace the cartridge bearings with a variety of offerings when the stock ones start to go (Phil Wood, Enduroforkseals.com particularly).

Maybe when a larger shell becomes adopted by the majority of manufacturers (like the bb30 standard with very few actual offerings available now from bike manufacturers) it could get more interesting...http://www.bb30standard.com/
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    keep an eye out for either a WTB or suntour grease guard BB on fleabay. Otherwise, there's cartridge bearing BB's out there, where you can replace the bearings for ~$10 when needed. SKF, tange and interloc are among the current makers of these.
    I have pried off the seal/dust cover on older shimano BB's, repacked with grease and put the seal back on in the past. You just have to be very careful not to ruin the seal when removing it. honestly, in bad conditions, $25 once a year for a BB (ie UN54) ain't bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave In Florida

[SIZE=1][/SIZE]