Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do I replace Truvativ GPX external bearings?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Jesterrider 
#1 ·
I'm new to Truvativ Stylo GXP SS cranks. It seems like the bearings are a little crunchy - can they be serviced?
If so, it seems that I need a 16mm (or 5/8) hex allen. Any good leads on where to find one? I can't seem to easily find one.
Also, I seem to need a special BB removal tool.

Can someone verify process for me - thanks!
I tried searching but could not find what I needed.
:madman:

#3 ·
That helps with bearings - but who has a 16mm hex?

Ti-Carbon said:
Thanks for the link, but I'm stumpped that this is that difficult. Does Truvativ not sell parts and tools for the cranks? Why does no one carry (online retailers) tools to remove these cranks - perhaps I'm missing something easy...

#5 ·
Jesterrider said:
I'm new to Truvativ Stylo GXP SS cranks. It seems like the bearings are a little crunchy - can they be serviced?
If so, it seems that I need a 16mm (or 5/8) hex allen. Any good leads on where to find one? I can't seem to easily find one.
Also, I seem to need a special BB removal tool.

Can someone verify process for me - thanks!
I tried searching but could not find what I needed.
:madman:
You can remove the BB with a special tool...tons of companies make them, but as far as servicing the bearings.....you are SOL for the most part. At most you can very very carefully remove the plastic cups and O ring and pop the seal on the bearings and clean out the old grease and pack some new grease in there. You could purchase a very expensive tool from Phil Wood that will remove the bearings and allow new bearings to be pressed in if you were so inclined.
Just pop a new BB in it will be the least hassle, the Race Face external BB are superior to the truvativ/shimano/FSA BB's and are compatible with any external BB.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I can get a Park BBT-9 that will remove the BB external bearing cups, but I'm struggling to find a 16mm hex to remove the crank arms. They use the 16mm hex as a stop gap to ensure the main 8mm crank bolt on the non-drive side does not back too far out.
Additionally, I only have 400-500 miles on the BB and I hate to think that it is shot already.

Yet another question - can I replace the BB cups with another brand? It seems that Truvativ replacement bearing cups are $50 and Race Face are $36 - but I do not know if they fit.

#8 ·
Jesterrider said:
Thanks for the info. I can get a Park BBT-9 that will remove the BB external bearing cups, but I'm struggling to find a 16mm hex to remove the crank arms. They use the 16mm hex as a stop gap to ensure the main 8mm crank bolt on the non-drive side does not back too far out.
I removed my Stylo cranks with an 8mm hex, it's how they go on so that's how they should come off. I think the 16mm is tighten once (factory) and forget it.

#9 ·
I knew I was a putz. I just didn't know how. OK - the 16mm was set in at the factory as the 'extractor' bolt. I was just afraid to reef on the 8mm and screw something up. Cranks off - all set. Bearings accessed and they need some fresh grease for sure. I'm going to get a BBT9 tool and remove the cups for better cleaning.
Thanks for all the posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.