mtbr member
    Jun 2006

How do I get rid of ghost shifting?

I have a sram x-9 rear derailleur on my sc bullit and lately my suspension action has been causing very ill-timed ghost shifts and cog hopping.

I'm ziptying my housing down and switching to a two ring set-up in front so as to get rid of unnecessary chain lenght. If these don't work, what are some other things I could try?

In my experience tightening the zip ties on the rear triangle but leaving them a bit loose on the front triangle to allow for suspension movement works well. Otherwise watch your housing length and bends for possible culprits, doubt it's frame flex on a Bullitt.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchuchu
    I have a sram x-9 rear derailleur on my sc bullit and lately my suspension action has been causing very ill-timed ghost shifts and cog hopping.

I'm ziptying my housing down and switching to a two ring set-up in front so as to get rid of unnecessary chain lenght. If these don't work, what are some other things I could try?
    Is ghost shifting in all gears or the ones in the middle? If in the middle gears you may just need to adjust the position on the rear derailleur. Using the knob that you turn by finger to center it over the gear. You prob. already knew that. Other than that in my experience its usually time to change the cable and housing.

Chrome Toaster
    Oh my god! I thought Sram systems never ghost shifted!
    Seriously though, cable routing can be an issue on longer travel suspension bikes. Make sure the housing run that connects the front and rear triangles is the right length and correctly clamped. If you cut the housing too short the cable might get pulled during top out and if its too long it might bend too severely during compression. It should not bend excessively at any of the clamp points during the suspensions cycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster
    Is ghost shifting in all gears or the ones in the middle? If in the middle gears you may just need to adjust the position on the rear derailleur. Using the knob that you turn by finger to center it over the gear. You prob. already knew that. Other than that in my experience its usually time to change the cable and housing.
    It always indexes good when I'm not riding it, but I think I found the problem.

I pulled the foremost housing out for a look and saw wire sticking out of the ferule. I replaced cable and housing with rubber o-rings in the feral to keep out grit and some slick honey in the housing, I'll ride it today and see if it worked. With the state of that housing I'm thinking I should have looked there first and expect that something HAS TO work better after fixing it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchuchu

First of all, you must be mistaken because everyone on this site says that sram products do not ghost shift.

Secondly, the reason you get ghost shifting is that the cable length is changing as your suspension cycles, this means that your cable routing is not perfect. You have to experiment with longer or shorter amounts of cable housing in the areas where the cables move (suspension, handlebars, etc). I can't really make a general rule based on what I've seen, but I see both cables that are too short along with ones that are too long. A cable that is too long often causes just as many problems.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.