mtbr member
    Sep 2007

How do i fix this? Picture inside...

Lost it on some loose dirt and clipped a tree. I'm not sure if i just back it out if it will do more damage. Thanks for the advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    cable adjuster
    loosen the cable, back it out, there is a screw under the cap , if its bent, you may have to use it as is, maybe your lbs has one from an old lever. or try to re install it, if not, you really dont need it if there is one at the other end

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

He needs it danno....

that looks to be the front shifter (left hand). There isn't a barrel adjuster on the front derailleur, so he needs it, or will at some point.

Like danno said, head to the LBS and see if they can hook you up. We've got a box of old shifters at the shop I work at, and we've got a batch of small shifter parts as well. We'd likely be able to fix it. Most shops would I would think, but you never know. We tear down old shifters that our customers upgrade from if they don't want the olde ones, and keep the good parts for just such occasions.

It may still be usable though. You can check it yourself if you like. Just release the cable from the derailleur clamp and then try turning the barrel adjuster out. The know is free floating and plastic. However there is a metal sleave inside that threads into the body of the shifter. Pull em apart (you can do this while they are still on the cable) and inspect the metal insert. If the insert is bent it's best to get the whole thing replaced. A bend usually throughs any adjustments you try to make with it off. If it comes out hard or won't thread back in, get it replaced.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

rad to the power of sick
    Also... derailler barrel adjusters use the same piece, so if you have an old der. kicking around, just use the one from that.